View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 07:47 AM

I believe he used the non turbo head (maybe?), and had a custom cam made for it: the lobes are quite sharp. I plan on using racing oil in it for this reason. What do you think? I'm pretty sure he ported and polished the head, and used performance engine hardware, because he built this thing himself and he was serious about it. He estimated he had $9K in the motor with parts and labor. All I can remember is that he said that he used performance parts, chamfered out the oil passages, maybe cooling too; he increased the boost, and had the pump adjusted to match it by a bosch pump specialty shop. I think he said the boost was 18psi, but I'm not sure. I will post a pic of the motor and detail of the cam if you want. I don't have much more info on it, but I am going to bring it to him once its in the car, to refresh the t-belts (so I can learn how to do them myself), and for the first start up, and I plan to ask more questions then. He has blueprints, but couldn't find them at the time, but he did have some other technical data on it. If he got into modifying oiling and cooling passages, he would have had to have blueprinted the thing. It was kind of a quick sale...he needed the cash. I came out sweet with it. He has since said he regrets selling it. Can't wait to get it on the road. I'm guessing I'll need a T5 pretty soon, so I'm going to keep my eyes open for a good one. Lots of 5.0 'stangs down here in the south! With a t5, it will be supersweetbadasss. I'm going to run it on vegetable oil too, by the way. Don't cringe yet, I have 8 years of experience doing it successfully with the MB om617 motors, which although different in setup, are also pre-chamber (ID) motors. The only thing I'm concerned about is the high performance nature of this motor. I will need to be real careful, and only switch over to vegoil when the thing is good and hot and ready for good (more complete) combustion. I will be changing crankcase oil early and religiously. I'll do cc oil analysis quarterly for the first year to see how often I need to change it. I have a bosch shop locally, and if the pump seals start to leak from the vegoil, I will have them put viton seals in it. Be interested to hear your thoughts on running these on vegoil. It is peanut oil that I use.
Abe