View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 11:19 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadan View Post
Except time!!!
It sure is possible to lose a lot of that.

As long as it's fun and/or interesting, though, I guess there are worse ways to waste time.

The TDI I was working on in this thread is still running nicely and to my great surprise, appears to be using very little or no oil so far. I have done a couple thousand miles in it now, running it on my commute to try to find any bugs, but so far I can't tell it apart from an average decent condition motor. As you say, amazing sometimes how an engine can get right up to (or even beyond) the brink of destruction but still carry on afterwards with seemingly minimal effect.

The one issue I have had with this engine, as I mentioned earlier and unrelated to the internal engine problems and repairs, is a very bizarre injection pump failure that I will share here for curiosity's sake when I have a little time and can get some pictures taken. As a result of that problem, shortly after getting it on the road I had to tear it back apart again and replace the IP with a used one, which I resealed beforehand. I also replaced the timing belt while I was that far back into it, given the indications thus far that this engine is ready to run for a while now and is seemingly worth one or two other new consumable parts.