View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

That looks like it's probably a Thule gutter-mount rack system -- Thule is based in Sweden, like Volvo, and likely was who Volvo contracted with to produce the bits for Volvo's OE accessory catalog, since the pictures you showed look identical to Thule parts. Assuming the width is right, which it should be if it's a Volvo accessory made for Volvo cars with rain gutters, it should be exactly the right setup to have on a 745. I'd say it sounds like exactly what you're looking for!

The metal feet drop into the gutters and then the lower part goes around the outside of the gutter to keep the rack clamped in place. It might not make sense looking at pictures, but when you see it in person, it will be obvious how it fits on the car. There are little rubber cushions there to protect the paint and sometimes those can fall off, like 745TG said, but I've only had that happen when I'm taking the rack off the car -- haven't ever had an issue with them when the rack is installed and secure.

My experience is that the Thule system is a great setup, and from the pictures it seems like this stuff is intact and in good shape. It also sounds like it's very complete -- nice to get all of the attachments as a bundle. IMHO if the price is right, you can't go wrong.

Last edited by v8volvo; 02-18-2014 at 01:31 PM.