View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 07:01 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahicori View Post
thanks for your answer V8. Here is the main issue : I do have the electrical schemas in my book but I feel clueless...i dont understand a thing. I am looking for a straightforward method : if I understand, I have to check every ground to check the value and then identify a bad one ?
You don't have to be that rigorous.

Checking resistance to ground (or voltage drop on a circuit with electrical load, which is a more useful measurement for the kind of issue you're looking for) would be the technically correct diagnosis method. However, you could also just refresh all the ground points (disassemble, clean, tightly reassemble), which would be much easier and faster, and would probably solve the problem. There aren't that many ground connections total so this would probably not be that time-consuming. It's one of the few cases where trial and error is probably the best option, rather than pinpointed diagnosis.

If you wanted to be a little bit targeted, one way to do it would be to use your electrical diagrams to figure out the specific ground locations that are identified as being involved with the circuits where you have been noticing problems. You could start by going after those, and see if cleaning and tightening just those grounds helps, rather than taking a shotgun approach and doing them all.