View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 12:00 PM

Vehicle: 740

Thanks for the replies. Wow, what passion for this engine.

Obviously, both of you who replied found this car pretty easily. Yes, it is the one at the NJ dealer. I was thinking the same thing - the dealer probably paid the original owner nothing on trade and is now trying to make a killing.

I also noticed the different gauge cluster, Red Arrow. However, it does have the diesel redline at 5000 rpm, so if it was replaced, it did not come out of a gas-powered Volvo. It had to have come out of a 740 or 760 diesel. Maybe they made a set without the volt and turbo gauge?

By the way - I cannot tell from the pics - is the dashboard cracked? I did notice that the trim piece above the glovebox has fallen off - both common in these cars, I have read.

Here are my concerns:

1. Price - there is not much of a market for these cars so one would think it is worth far less than $7400. Hagerty does not even have a suggested value on the 700 series as a classic car, the way they do for the 240s. NADA says $1300.

2. Parts - can you still get them?

3. Service - who can service this engine? Certainly not the local Volvo dealer. Where would I find a mechanic?

4. Rest of car - it is 35 years old. I guess this is my least concern because parts or the 700 series in general seem readily available. I would try to fix things myself. Are there a lot of videos on how to fix common things that break on all 700 series cars?