View Single Post
Old 09-15-2021, 08:36 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
have you checked the JB Weld temperature range? IIRC, the EGTs can get up into the 1,000 degF range.

Could you resurface the sealing face with a belt sander?
There`s a paste version of JB Weld that is said to withstand higher temps than their other products.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/J-B-Weld-...te-3/112083744
(I am not sure how it handles vibration though and how clean the surfaces need to be to apply it efficiently. There`s no good access to this part of the engine...)

Plan B would be (as you suggested) sanding/resurfacing then to reassemble it all again using new gaskets (and maybe(?) a thin layer of some sort of good sealer or JB.

One of my many past attempts were fixing it with new gaskets and using a high heat red sealant between mating surfaces, but it didn`t hold longer than a few months.
The engine power is not pimped up in any way, my pump is not turned up and I don`t race/abuse the car; so I doubt that I have `higher than healthy` exhaust temperatures.

Thanks for the reply Ngoma.
I need to take it apart again and touch up that pitted surface really well. Fingers crossed about the studs...
I bought copper nuts to be kind with the studs that are worn a little, especially the one on the right/front. I think I also bought about six VW diesel exhaust studs on FCP but ruined like two of them by the time I got one in. I should be able to find two more in some toolbox and do this project soon.
(I remember fighting two exhaust studs out but I can`t recall which engine it was. I am hoping it was done for this car but I am not sure.)