View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 08:36 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Thanks for the reply and info.

Interesting your point about the cable clutch. It took me a minute to realize that that difference there is probably due to RHD/LHD variation. The LHD diesel models here, all of them (240/260 and 740/760), did have cable operated clutches. Non turbo 700 series gas cars had cable clutches too. Only the turbo gas and 16 valve gas 700 series models got hydraulic clutches here. By contrast it sounds like RHD UK cars never had cable clutches in the 700 series at all and used hydraulic action across the board.

Makes sense since running a cable from the right hand side of the firewall all the way around to the left hand side of the bellhousing probably would have been difficult, easier to use hydraulic tubing and cylinders on an RHD car.

So in short, converting from cable to hydraulic clutch is an extra step I would need to do with my 760, whereas you fortunately didn't have to worry about it.

Glad to hear you are liking it. I'm thinking about it. I guess I would need to round up a 740 Turbo clutch master cylinder and pressure line and pedal. That would be annoying, since I threw a whole set of those exact parts away a few years ago, that I removed from a turbo gas 745 I converted to turbo diesel (now owned by member RedArrow here) and had to swap the original hydraulic system to the diesel cable setup. Guess I should have kept them.