View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 03:40 PM

Vehicle: 1981 GL 245

Hey RedArrow,
Thank you very much for this answer, it really is heart-warming.

Yes, I was this very forumer ! I did the job with two friends, one of them was a good mechanic although not a D24 expert. We did it with the home-made tool you can see on the pic from my other topic. We did not have all the special tools. I now understand the use of these tools : you don’t spend your time to double-check every minute if you’re still at TDC. We took 8 hours to get the job done properly : I think that with all the tools, it could have been divided by 3!!

I define myself as a beginner with this engine and in mechanics in general, so thank you for the precautions.

I cannot be sure about the fluid as I do not know if transmission oil looks like motor oil.

Now, there is a lot of dripping oil under the pan.
It is very very greasy around the oil sensor . I could take pic today, I ll try tomorrow.

I remember having removed the relief valve of the oil pump (clapet de décharge in French, Im not sure about the English) , I did not change the gasket . It s very greasy underneath.

About the valver cover : yes, there is a small leak, I completely forgot to change that gasket and we used the old one and I promised to change it as soon as I could. It is greasy on the most detoriated part but I don’t see how it could explain such a loss of oil.

I drove the car back (one km) and I noticed nothing peculiar. Got it started a few time without noticing any leak.
When I pull out the dipstick , I can sea a little drop on the top of it, but that’s it. It is so strange!!

About the seals: are you talking about the crank seal? we did not change it…

The car is a manual 4+OD, NA.
Thanks a lot again. I ll try to do some cleaning and spot the leak properly!