View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default POLYURETHANE VERSION of left side engine mounts and/or tranny mount.

Is there a polyurethane version of these diesel engine mounts?

I dont`t like it that it looks so deformed right after the installation (left). The aftermarket version must be a cheapo quality and is probably too soft for this application (excessive weight and the engine `tilt`. It could use a mount that has harder rubber, i think. Or some kind of a support on the side of the rubber `cupcake`.

I feel like buying the expensive Volvo left side engine mount, the original version, but not sure that would cure this issue. Any suggestions?

I have this issue that my shifter inside the cabin moves around way too much at idle while my tranny mount is brand new and the right side engine mount looks new, no deformities visible there. (Yes, the idle is correct and the engine runs very smoothly.)

It must be that this (also new) left side engine mount is way too soft.

My tranny mount is also kind of softer than what I expected it to be, but maybe I could try a poly bushing there too, if available. Ideas?

The driver`s side engine mount I currently have in the car is this:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...iesels#fitment
I think it was made in India.

The engine mount was replaced first and immediately it looked crooked.
But there was not much vibration at my shifter. After I put in the tranny mount, shifter started going `all around` and it is visibly noticeable that something is going on.
Like one of these mounts is too soft.
I have this idea that bc the tranny mount is too hard or too new, the push that the unit sent forward added an extra angle and pressure on the left side engine mount that was already not coping with the weight of the engine.

Weird. Or maybe the tranny mount is too soft and lets the engine-tranny combo shake around as one, while the left side engine rubber lets this happen, being now the weakest link of the `chain`.

I feel like there must be a middle ground solution somewhere to delete this returning problem.
The left side mount usually fails within 2 yrs max.
I`m going to replace now the 1/2 y old left side mount again to see if that helps some.
the engine mount shouldn`t have weakened so many times so prematurely. I have literally brand new standard bilstein shocks again and the wagon runs on new tires which never been overinflated. No offroad use, no racing no abuse (except nyc roads aren`t the smoothest).

Maybe time has come to replace the right side engine mount no matter what... to see if it helps. (?)
I actually have no information whether or not the right side engine mount had ever been replaced. I`ve had this brick for eight years now and wondering how long normally the right side mounts last?
(IF the passenger side mount is overly `hardened` by age or contamination or heat or the combination of those, then I would understand why the driver`s side mount takes&suffers more of the `pressure`- can it look very okay but still* be in bad condition??)

Any poly mounts ever available? also, again, is the oem left side mount somewhat stronger?

(Tip for those replacing the tranny mount:
I could have had an easier time putting it in. Next time I will cut off 1cm (about half an inch) of the threads on each side of the tranny mount.)

Last edited by RedArrow; 05-13-2020 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added a question