View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 06:09 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Engine mount (left), and tranny mount

Thanks for your logic answers.

The new left side engine mount looked deformed right after installation yesterday. Same as the other new mount did appr 5y ago....
Yest I noticed that something pulls the unit towards the rear... So...today I added a new m46 tranny mount and that seems to compensate a little. If the tranny mount was 1cm or appr half an inch thicker, it would i think align the drivers side engine mount perfectly by "pushing" the tranny-engine combo towards the front a little.
I cant complain... Im glad the mounts are in...i am already noticing an easier deal when reverse is needed.
And once or twice car "threw out the 2nd gear" lately. And the laycock 5th disengaged regularly when passing through uneven road surfaces (common in nyc). Im hoping that will go away completely.

But now the shifter visibly vibrates more than earlier.
Possibly due to the new mounts being "solid/tight"...i think the engine vibes get transferred into the cabin...i mean, to the shifter. Esp when I accelerate and the engine moves/tilts. BTW the motor runs smooth and great so there is no internal imbalance whatsoever and it isnt cold. Video link will be added soon. BTW i think that this made in india left side mount is too soft of a material.
I am kind of not believing that my pass side mount is going bad or went bad. I will look and inspect though (testdrive first
I never liked changing more than one thing at a time because then it is sometimes harder to compare and to notice results (of how it runs).
The tranny mount was not in terrible condition, installed in Summer of 2012. But it was deformed and "hard", with a chip in it, thinner than the new one.

(The left side engine mount is seen on the right in the 3rd picture)

Here's the yt link to see the shifter. I did gentle revs to illustrate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture+_2019-11-26-21-56-39.jpg (20.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Capture+_2019-11-26-21-57-38.jpg (26.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Capture+_2019-11-26-21-58-17.jpg (21.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191129-235636.jpg (19.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 11-29-2019 at 07:58 PM.