View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Volvoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Let me be clear -- running veg in your mix without a heated fuel system, at a high enough percentage to affect starting, is asking for trouble. Running small enough quantities that it does not affect engine operation -- small enough quantities that you really think of the veg as an additive, not a significant component of your fuel) you can get away with OK, though you will go through fuel filters at 3 or 4 times the rate you normally would, especially in colder weather when there is some precipitate drop-out from the unheated veg, which cuts into your savings a bit. However, running 50-60% without a heated fuel system is a sure recipe for engine and fuel system destruction, landing you with a dead motor and a big bill, at which point the idea of savings from running cheap fuel starts to sound a little silly......
What exactly can happen? I am wondering if this led to my destroyed GP's and motor in my 84. I was running 100% biodiesel, already processed from a local biofuels company. I don't want to trash another motor if this was the reason. I am also running it in my wifes Jeep Liberty CRD (though not at 100% usually) and around 40% in my home furnace...

Newark/Bear, DE

Selling NEW and USED Volvo parts!

www.swedishbrickyard.com

Email: mike@swedishbrickyard.com