View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 05:03 PM

Vehicle: 245
Question D24 na problematic everything

Hello all!

May be you can help me. I have read almost a hundred threads, but this is my first writing

I have a Volvo 240 with D24 non turbo. Manual + OD. I will list problems here because there is alot Tried sorting out at bosch mechanic but nothing.

- No power but SERIOUSLY (top speed ON FLAT 110kph (thats 68mph), unable to climb hills literally, there is a steep hill on highway near me which i have to take in 2nd gear doing ~35kph! (~20mph)) Generally, the car cannot be driven continually over 85kph (52mph)

- A lot of smoke at all times except when warm idle (black, gray, blue, white... all of it depends on situation. Revving at neutral - black. Flatout on highway - white. Towing - all combined )

- All 6 injectors changed and pump reset by bosch mechanic (all 6 injectors were so bad they were literally like garden hoses), after that the TERRIBLE OVERHEATING stayed and the MPG dropped A LOT. Since then i have turned down the fuel screw myself and the consumption is better (but not as good as it used to be) and the overheating is gone completely, but the car does jump/stutter/cough when cold accelerating and the engine runs smoother when warm.

- Uneven power (suddenly at around 2.3k rpm it gains some power which dissapears later) I have a rev counter attached to alternator. Almost like a small turbo.

- NO cold start device installed. The lever is just in relaxed position, its not tied or anything. (no cold winters here really (a bit below freezing), and when below freezing i just start it with gas pedal pressed a bit, i also have manual glow plug activation)

- Low oil pressure (unrelated but annoying) (long time to build, 1bar when warm)

- Bad and uneven compression (driving 200k km with terrible injectors probably didn't help ) Also, the valves have never been touched, the mechanics sware they are hydro lifters and i must agree that there is no ticking, but we will know soon when i change the cover gasket)

I guess i should be timing the pump. Also, the guys swear they 1) set the pump at the bench correctly, 2) timed the pump with dial indicator (the first bit i believe, but the second not so much ) there are no better ones here so no luck

Is it ok to have no CS device and to pull the lever with something from outside if it gets really cold?

Also, how is this all happening. What can i do to sort this engine out the way it should be atleast at this age. It wasn't like this when it was installed bit it quickly became (i was a kid)

Ive heard stores from other owners how this engine in this car does 80-90kph in 4th gear on the same hill i go 35kph. I could go faster, but not even in 3dr gear. Also ive driven diesel mercedes benz 190D 2.5 and its like a race car compared to this engine.

BTW this car was driven by my father for 24years and now by me and will be kept at all costs

Last edited by mrvos; 06-20-2020 at 05:27 PM.