View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Hah! Sounds fantastic now! Glad you got it all figured out. A couple stuck injectors and retarded timing can certainly make a difference. I like your method of shutting the engine off! I've done that with a piece of wood, but never with my bare hand...

Holding the glowplugs on until after the engine starts would help it start more easily, and using a little throttle and timing advance would help too..... but that would require more than 2 hands, and a guy only has so many. ;-)

Funny mistake in your last video. You can even hear it start to crank faster since the compression is so low with the intake blocked like that. Same thing happens to TDI's when the anti-shudder valve gets jammed with carbon and sticks shut... they try to crank with a closed throttle, and it sounds like they have a broken timing belt because they spin over with no compression! Many an intermittent TDI no-start is from just that exact same effect. Glad you figured out what you forgot to do before you got too mad at it!

I worked on one guy's TDI Beetle once who had just spent $5000 replacing his automatic transmission because he thought it was slipping and the car couldn't climb hills... I looked at it and didn't get halfway down the block before I knew the throttle valve was the problem. Sure enough it was stuck halfway shut, restricting engine power, engine couldn't rev above 2000 RPM, and so he would hammer the throttle pedal, trans would downshift, felt like slipping to him I guess.... unstuck the valve and it worked perfectly. He must have felt pretty dumb spending all that money rebuilding a perfectly good trans when a 5-minute repair using no parts was all it needed...