View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Not a smooth Sunday of td bricking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Situation not particular to D24. No reason to cause you to abandon your project.
Yeah. And thanks for starting with positivity and sending useful advice as an answer!

I was just referring to the fact that I had to suspend installing the manifolds, turbo, etc. My plan was to finish up today with everything but yesterday I saw no chance achieving that. The assembly got `abandoned` temporarily due to this broken stud. I was wondering back then if there was a specific well-known trick that`s particular about how to deal with the d24 when that happens (35-40years old Volvo studs, specific stud length, thickness of cyl walls whatever if there was a series of to-dos or not-to-dos).
I`m sure studs happen to break at almost every major brick rebuild too. To me the most annoying part was, as I said earlier, that the exhaust stud broke 1cm in and nothing was left `outside`.
There was good exercise on the broken ac bolt, a warming-up experiment for the day, and the testing of some of the tool kits I bought. Mostly, none worked. Only the good old method you circled as being the hardest and most complicated. :~)

Quote:
1. Soak it with penetrant, try a left-hand drill bit. Sometimes the drill bit working in reverse will unscrew the stud remains.
Unfortunately none of the shops I went to have ever heard of a left hand drill bit. Weird. I loaded up on various sets of stud/bolt removal kits, several kinds and sizes of drill bits, punch kits etc, just to have them in case i ruin my other tools, ...so tomorrow there will be quite a lot of returned merchandise (of either low quality tools or/and unwanted spares) esp the HF are usually useless for a serious project.
About soaking. When I got the engine, it was sprayed all over, literally all over, daily, for almost a week every day. When the stud broke I tilted the engine and filled the hole with wd40 again and I think it constantly swam in wd40 at the drilling too and through the extraction. A left hand drill bit set, if quality, will be my next buy. I`m sure they often work wonders.

Quote:
2. Weld a nut to the remains of the stud and unscrew it with a wrench. Hundreds of examples of this on youtube.
This would have been the best but the welder is tucked away and I can`t use it = IDK how to weld. Would def need a class before touching that equipment.

Quote:
3. (requires the most skill) Drill the stud exactly perpendicular and straight into the exact center in increasing sizes drill bits until you can scrape out the last remaining bits of thread left from the threads in the head. Almost impossible to get the drill straight and centered.
I chose this method and it worked, through series of various attempts of using combinations of techniques and options, using whatever was available. YES, it WAS impossible to keep the hole perfectly aligned. I took my time and did my best OCD approach and lots of care but it still ended up being wrong in many ways, wrong angle and not even centered perfectly. I could have ruined all of the threads but ruined none which I think is good news. Thanks to the expensive and good quality drill bits and some common sense thinking which had luck on top of it all. I`m glad it all went quick (meaning it solved overnight. it didnt go quickly though and definitely not smoothly)

Quote:
4. (not recommended) EZout or similar. Often these break off in the stud leaving you worse off than before
Yes I had good hopes on those but then gave up soon after. I bought sets and tried to get another broken-in bolt out at the ac bracket; and it failed. The technique sounds great but the quality of the products arent satisfactory.

I had a very nice hole punchstarted then drilled, up to the next sizes then the frkng extractor broke into the whole thing, exactly what the nightmare stories tell. The remover snapped and broke into a perfectly made and filled the by then already extended hole. To be continued next time but I`ll sleep on it a few times.
maybe a set of diamond marble grinder bits will cure the issue with lots of watercooling every 5seconds and tons of patience. My d24 motor can do well without the ac bracket for now, it`s the garage that needs ac these days.

Below are a few picts of the darn ac bracket bolt. The hole was well-drilled. And completely thru (I estimate the part left inside to be about only 1-1.2cm long).
It all felt promising at that point. I tried a method I saw online yest: hitting in a strong torx head bit and turning it out that way. It twisted bc bit was too soft then I came up with that smart brittle extractor that broke in. I now wish I hit in a large and stronger torx head instead, not the `easy-out` style thing.
Intake bolts were sooo ready but that had to wait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200628_151943.jpg (488.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20200628_152335.jpg (373.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20200628_152611.jpg (377.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20200628_153902.jpg (486.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20200628_205125.jpg (634.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 06-29-2020 at 08:01 AM.