View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 11:41 PM

Vehicle: 1981 GL 245

Hello everyone! I ve been off for a while!! I finally tackled the job a week ago. I work VERY slowly.

Yes I was looking for general advice like that.

I was able to set the timing properly then lock the cam with the appropriate tool (the plate). A big surprise came when I removed the hose which is just under the vacuum pump (the nut from above was a real pain in the ass) : maybe 2 liters of coolant came right off. What does that mean locked thermostat?

I removed sucessfully almost everything but the intake manifold (two screws are now out of shape , I am going to remove them with a ...what's the name in english? We call it "pigtails" in french.

The fuel hose were also a real pain in the ass. I had to break two of them : when I was removing the 17mm nut on the pump, the high pressure outlet fitting of the pump remains totally stuck with the nut So the hose naturally turns with the 17mm nut and I had to cut it. Fortunately, I have some spare hoses.

but my main concern is this head screw, cut off on cylinder 6. I dont have the slightest ideah about how that happened. now, what is your best method for this particular problem? I know I will not have a second chance if I miss one single step. I will wait for sunny and windless day to tackle that one.

many thanks to both of you for following this journey.

Yes the leak was blatantly running though the head. I work pretty hard, and I might buy a new head , too much work for nothing would be heartbreaking

Last edited by dahicori; 10-05-2021 at 01:38 AM.