View Single Post
Old 08-22-2020, 05:39 AM

Vehicle: VW LT28D

Hello.
Thanks for all your replies and help.

So, I removed the new tstat that I fitted and checked that, along with the old one. Both seem to work OK but the new one opens more.

Also, the new one has a smaller disc on the bottom , approx 35mm diam.

However, all of this is academic as neither solve my overheasting problem.

I foolishly only checked the rad was OK and got hot when I removed it and flushed it through. I did this with boiling water and checked that the rad got hot in all areas, which it did.

So, I've now checked it when the van is running hot, in situ (which obviously i should have already done. D'oh!) and it is cold, as is the bottom exit pipe.

So, the coolant is not being circulated around the rad at all.
Having removed the rad and inspected it, I'm pretty confident that this is OK and not blocked.

When the system is full, I can squeeze the hose which enters the tstat housing, which comes from the bottom of the rad, and the coolant in the reservior is affected via the top pipe into the reservior from the top of the rad, so coolant is able to move around.

So, my thought now is the water pump not circualting. I had thought it was circualting due to noticable movement in the reservior but this this is proabbly more likely just movement from the initial difference in water temperature.

Does this sound resonable?
Anything i might be missing?

I think I'll change the pump anyway and do the timing belt at the same time; something that is on my list anyway, for my own piece of mind. Hopefully this will sort it out. If not, I'm stumped??

Last edited by blix99; 08-22-2020 at 05:42 AM.