View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 06:02 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Passenger side engine mount was ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian2000t View Post
Did you do just one side? And did you have to re-drill the aluminium mounting block?
I checked the passenger side mount, it looked intact, so I left it alone.
The driver side one usually goes bad much earlier.
Mine was terribly worn.
Besides the two nuts securing the mount in its place, there are two holes drilled (not by me): one at the engine side, ON the removable bracket; the other hole is in the bottom area that the mount sits on (that part is welded onto the crossmember)
The rubber mount itself has a small pin (top and bottom too), those help align and secure the mount so it won`t turn/twist.
It was pretty straightforward to do, only one way in. No mods needed at all (drilling etc). Ipd bar wasn`t in the way, I was happy to not remove it.

I loosened all top nuts on the pass side (13mm), the bottom nut (17mm I guess) on the drivers side, only loosened the 3 bolts that hold the upper bracket to the engine, then safely slowly gently lifted motor, keeping an eye on engine compartment hoses/wiring etc. I had the front on two plastic ramps and the car parked at curb so it tilts to the right side, helping me get the best lifting/lowering angle. It went very smooth once engine got lifted, mount went up with engine, out of that gap, I grabbed the broken piece out, 3 top bolts out, removed old mount, cleaned the parts, put the new one in, then the bracket with mount went in, tightened bolts to engine then slowly lowered the engine, watching the mount achiving its proper position. I put the bottom nut back and fixed the pass side too. I put an emergency piece of wood between engine and xmember while it was in the `air`. Faulty jack, or, your dear neighbor parking.
There`s a safer way doing it but it worked fine.

I just don`t know why does the mount itself look like something is pulling it towards the rear of the car? I have to check the trany mount! but it was done not too long ago. well, idk why... maybe this aftermarket mount is too soft or something. Volvo mount looked more beefy, bigger too, but it was so deformed I can`t tell. I did not see metal plates on the new mount, ipd sells different ones. Let`s see how it handles vibration+weight.

Ps. It used to be tricky to put car into 1st gear at red lights. Also at leaving when car (tranny?) was cold. Test-drove yesterday, feels like it disappeared.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo drivers side mount.jpg (91.1 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 09-09-2014 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Switched the picture