View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 05:14 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvos View Post
My quote from above: "There were two guys - one an old bosch mechanic (almost 70yrs old) and other who just took the pump in and out.
Usually those old Bosch mechanics are like gold. Many years experience where it counts. We lose a lot when each one retires.

Quote:
Here in serbia we have MANY golf mk1 and 2 diesels. So they bought new injector inserts for the mk2 golf and installed them in my injectors. They also say they tested them good.
Because there are many still on the road there should be a reasonable repair/parts network, a good situation.

Quote:
With the pump removed he resealed the pump and set the pump timing and quantity on the bosch table by the bosch charts (i didnt see that but i believe him tbh) That doesn't mean he didn't mess it up
Realize there is pump internal timing (should say RPM or fuel pressure dynamic timing advance) and pump static timing (stays static, relative to crankshaft position). On the bench it is possible to set only the internal dynamic timing. Static timing has to be done on the engine, and can really cause driveability problems.

Quote:
Then when he and his guy started to return the pump in the car, it was a 3 days long agony They managed to get the car running finally using a dial indicator FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THEIR LIFES. The thing is that there are many golf mk2 diesels here and that they do the timing by the ear on them apparently (heard that from another bosch service i then decided to avoid).
Timing by ear: A 70 y.o. experienced Bosch tech could probably do that. Not saying your guy can do that, but someone working on these day in day out for years could do it.