View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Looks great in there! Pretty normal, though. I wouldn't necessarily say that means it has been rebuilt, since D24T's (as well as every other diesel engine) are usually very clean inside regardless. If you are used to gas engines that fill up with sludge and varnish inside as the miles pile up, diesels will amaze you with how clean they stay, especially when synthetic oil is used. When I've worked on gas engines from time to time, the stink that you get as soon as you pull the valve cover off is always a surprise to me... just one reason why, once you get used to working on diesels, it's hard to go back to the other side.

Looking forward to hearing how it runs. You may want to check amp draw for the glow system before attempting starting -- sometimes these cars get junked because a few bad glow plugs kept them from starting, so before you wear out your battery and starter trying, you might want to check that yours are all in order. Each glow plug draws roughly 12 amps (after an initial spike that will read higher), so with all 6 working, after a few seconds you should see around 72 amps. With only 5 plugs in order you'll see 60, 4 will be 48, etc. If you have a good battery charger with a fairly accurate meter on it, using that to power the glow plug bus is an easy way to test. If you have 5 or 6 plugs working you should be able to get it started pretty easily, but if you are down to 4 or 3 you may want to find the dead ones and replace them before making a starting attempt to save yourself some trouble.

I believe your 960 should also have a 3.31 rear end, so yes, your gearing will be pretty tall. Stock D24T/M46 cars came with 3.54:1 rear gears IIRC.