Thread: Piston rings
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I would expect it should have alot of life left at around 100k. If they aren't very worn, and you run a good synthetic oil, they aren't going to wear any more than they already are as long as you keep up with the maintenance.

Jason
+1, agree, this isn't like in a VW where if you have the head off, you can pop the pan off in 10 minutes and do a quick hone and set of rings to freshen the engine up... doing rings in one of these is a much bigger deal and if there's no reason to get into it, you may as well leave it alone. I have seen them worn out with low mileages like that before, but if it was taken care of at all then 119k it should still be pretty stout, and if you care for it it will go a long time yet before rings become an issue.

I have one that was completely shot by 150k, but it was owned by a lady who lived at the bottom of one of the biggest hills in town and, every morning, would get in the car, start it up, and immediately drive it up this hill at full throttle with a stone cold engine. 150k of that will wreck it pretty good, and this car got to the point by the time I pulled it apart at 157k where it would not start at all... But as long as yours didn't see that kind of abuse, 119k should still be young in its life and it ought to be fine for a long time.