View Single Post
Old 12-20-2022, 02:24 PM

Vehicle: Volvo 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
It is very annoying that all of our wires got biodegradable by now. Bad quality.
The wires underneath the shifter and even the wires within.

I had to replace all, in fact I am still in the search for a "4th gear contact switch" (OD interruptor plug)... until then, the car is currently an 8-speed manual because I had to rewire the tranny so I can use the 5th gear without using the 4th gear contact switch (by switch I mean the switch itself on the tranny itself, below the chassis...not the button-switch on shifter).

The car works great this way, it is sometimes even fun. Except that it is dangerous and risky bc if the driver puts the OD on while in reverse gear, the tranny will not be happy, at all.
1, 1+od, 2, 2+od, 3, 3+od, 4th, 4th+od="5th"=OD.... 8 gears I barely use them though. I shift the regular way.
The 4th gear switch is reachable without lowering the engine/tranny. It is a tight space but it is very doable without any specialty tools.

Once I find a new 4th gear switch, I will reverse this 8-sp wiring project to get back to how it originally was, a 4speed with pushbutton OD.

Any progress on figuring out what causes your shifting problem and grinding (1st and 2nd gear)?
I love the idea of having 8 gears and luckily I have managed to drive without many issues. The only problems with my 240 that haven't been caused by me are really the transmission and electrical system issues such as having to mess with the fuses sometimes and bad grounds etc.

I have a few small issues with my OD like for example if I pull the shifter to the left it turns off so you have to keep your hand away from the shifter when in OD and I also got that issue where when it's really cold it won't engage for a while.
It recently hit -2f and I couldn't engage OD for 4 miles but I don't mind unless it stops working completely.

With the cold weather came snow and it's been a blast because I've got the dana powerlock lsd and that works brilliantly. Makes me feel like a pro drifter

Been getting pretty good mileage too. No matter how I drive, I seem to always get 31 mpg.

The grinding hasn't gone away but I checked the transmission fluid and found that I was about half a quart low on oil. The transmission is leaking very slowly from somewhere and I don't bother fixing that.
I doubt the low fluid caused my issue because when it last occurred half a year ago or so I wasn't low on fluid.