View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM

The D24 engine as you know was originally built by VW and licensed to Volvo. I read somewhere that the VW built engines are slightly stronger than the Volvo ones I could be wrong.

I find that the VW dealers are the best place to get engine parts from. I have the Pinzgauer workshop manual both civilian and Ministry of Defence ones on CD and on my computer which really comes in handy. Some of the engine operations carried out are slightly different than the Volvo ones.

VW upgraded the thermostat to a higher degree one. The Pinz manual gives 3 temps 71-80-87 for different countries the 87 was fitted in the earlier VW Euro engines. Now replaced with a 89 or 90 degree one from memory.

Manual shows air valve at the top of the thermostat for letting trapped air out of the block. I bought two last year for Pinnie's that I was working on both from VW both with the air valves in. One of the old ones that came out didn't have the air vale in.

Also the rad cap was changed from I think 1.3 bar to 1 bar to help temp wise.

I will now only fit VW water pumps due to the critical cooling problems with this engine. I don't think the problem is as bad in the Volvos as it is with the Pinzgauers, possibly due to the fact that the engines are fitted a long way from the radiator so the pump has to be a very good one. I know 1 Pinz guy that had a Pinz jacked up in the air trying to get air out of the system while they bled it.