D24T.com

D24T.com (http://d24t.com/index.php)
-   Items Wanted (http://d24t.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Used factory hitch (http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1058)

RedArrow 05-07-2013 11:16 PM

Used factory hitch

Let me know if you have a complete kit laying around, for a 745 ( 740 wagon)

anders 05-08-2013 05:30 AM

I can get you one.

Are you looking for the "factory" volvo hitch with the funky 2x3 receiver? I have one with the 2 ball mounts 1 7/8" and 2". I also have an aftermarket one with the 1 1/2" receiver tube. PM for details.

anders 05-08-2013 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is picture of the draw-tites (the two in back) and the factory Volvo hitch in front.

anders 05-08-2013 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Better picture of factory Volvo hitch.

RedArrow 05-08-2013 06:58 PM

Hitch options

Thanks for your time uploading them. Now I clearly see the difference between them. I would need one of those soon... but I`m quite far from your location and as far as I remember they are pretty heavy and bulky too. Are you suggesting me not to choose the factory setup with the fat receiver tube... so it would be easier later to find the ball mount with trailer ball? Or does it come with those? I don`t know about the pros and cons of either one. (In the past I had sedan Volvos only and the hitches used in Europe were different I guess. For example, I never saw a hitch there that had a removable ending/trailer ball but that`s because their rules about having a hitch on the car are different. No rules basically, after you registered the car With a towing device) What`s the price tag on them? :) I still have no idea how to ship such a thing.

745 TurboGreasel 05-08-2013 11:20 PM

I can't really say one is best...
2" is desirable, as it is stronger, any hitch accessory will plug right in. winch cradle, shackles, bike rack, truck nuts, etc.
Less desirable factor is it really isn't good for departure angle. It's heavier, and a Volvo really has no business towing anything the little one can't manage.

The Volvo one is a bit of an oddball, and you will never find anything but a ball ready made for it, but they do seem built well enough.

Pretty sure they are all light enough to ship UPS. It's easy, wrap them in a bit of cardboard, and feel sorry for any smaller packages they beat up on the way.

anders 05-09-2013 05:37 AM

Here are the prices for anyone interested: The draw-tite in the back $75+ $40 to ship in the lower 48, Draw-tite in the middle $50+40 to ship in the lower 48, and hold your breath for the "Factory Volvo" Hitch with 1 7/8" and 2" balls For $150+$60 to ship, Why so much on the volvo? The funky ball mounts go for $50 each. But willing to sell it with just the 1 7/8 for $100+$50 for shipping. All the tow packages are rated for 3300 lbs. All hitches will include mounting hardware.

anders 05-09-2013 05:41 AM

Picture of the factory ball mounts

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the factory 2x3 ball mounts.

ngoma 05-09-2013 08:55 AM

I have one of each. U-Haul 1-1/2" on the wagon, Volvo 2" x 3" on the sedan. Used mainly to mount my hitch-mounted bike rack. VERY convenient.

Had to fab some wooden shims to fit the rack securely into the rectangular Volvo receiver, otherwise they seem equally solid and constructed.

An interesting feature of the Volvo hitch: the threaded part of the ball and the nut are recessed, theoretically allowing for more "scrape" clearance.

RedArrow 06-14-2013 06:16 PM

A hitch `sticking out`

Sorry for my late response here but can someone show a picture of them installed? I`m wondering how much they stick out (behind the bumper with&without the removable end) and how `visible`/hidden they are on wagons. Around here I can`t really see a single swedish wagon with a hitch... extraterrestrial?