D24T.com

D24T.com (http://d24t.com/index.php)
-   Diesel Engine and Drivetrain (http://d24t.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Need advice on donar car (http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=337)

EvoStevo 05-03-2010 10:27 PM

Need advice on donar car

Hey guys, so a D24T car has finally come up for sale in my area. The owner claims fairly low mileage (117K), but the car hasn't started in about four years. She says it just needs a starter, but I'm kinda skeptical. So when I go to look at it, what can I do to verify that there's nothing nasty going on internally (seized pistons, grenaded head, etc.)? Ideally I'd like a known running motor but this is honestly the first one to come up after more than a year of searching. Thanks in advance.

volvo d6 05-04-2010 06:33 AM

Turn the engine a few rounds and check that the seal back on the pump is not leaking and the engine should not make som special sounds when you turn it.

EvoStevo 05-04-2010 08:10 AM

Can I turn the crank by hand? Just get a breaker bar on the main pulley and rotate it? It sounds like she's saying it doesn't turn over using the starter motor, but I'm not sure.

bjs2oo7 05-04-2010 01:51 PM

yea use a breaker bar and if I am not mistaken its 32mm

Jason 05-04-2010 02:40 PM

its 27mm...

It would really be helpfull if you can turn it over with the starter or hear it run. Just verifying that it isn't seized is a ok start, but theres no way to know if it has decent compression, is it running on all cylinders, there are all sorts of problems that could be going on that you wont know unless the engine is running. You really cant tell much just turning over by hand unless its major internal damage or problems. It had better be cheap!

Jason

EvoStevo 05-04-2010 02:56 PM

Yeah, it's really not the best possible candidate but who knows when another one will come up. I was planning on using it as my rebuild project for next semester. She wants $500 for the whole car and it comes with a spare head and pump (hopefully an injection pump, but she didn't specify). The big problem I'm facing right now is finding a place to store the car until I can get the engine out.

ngoma 05-04-2010 04:36 PM

Wonder if the starter from your sig (1984 245 D24/M46 Still not running) would fit? If so, you could swap your starter to the candidate and would learn a lot more about it real fast.

EvoStevo 05-04-2010 05:18 PM

I was thinking about that too and I do have a spare, but I think I remember looking up the starter for a D24T in an online parts catalog and seeing it was a little different. Anyone know if they're the same or not?

bjs2oo7 05-04-2010 07:54 PM

it is 27mm thought it was different from injectors, I would assume the starters are the same, maybe try jumping the solenoid with a screw driver first just hit the two terminals on the thing mounted atop the starter.

EvoStevo 05-06-2010 01:32 PM

Bump. Can anyone confirm if the starters are the same?