D24T.com

D24T.com (http://d24t.com/index.php)
-   Help! My car died! (http://d24t.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Died While Driving (http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1940)

DieselScout 05-25-2019 10:27 AM

Died While Driving

Hey everyone,

My 1982 245 D24 recently cut power to the engine while driving (shifting into 3rd gear around 15/20mph) and now it won't start. No leaking fluids and battery is good. Earlier in the day, a radiator coolant hose burst on the highway. I replaced the hose and refilled the coolant; seemed to be fine. Any thoughts as to what may have happened?

Thanks,

-Alex

Goteborg Vapenfabrik 05-25-2019 02:09 PM

Can you verify 12v to the fuel solenoid on the injection pump while cranking? It is possible that a burst radiator hose could cause a severe loss of compression due to overheating. Hopefully its something simple.

DieselScout 05-25-2019 03:30 PM

Yes, the fuel solenoid is receiving 12 with the key turned and while cranking.

ngoma 05-26-2019 10:06 AM

Timing belt history?

Can you loosen an injector line union and verify fuel pressure getting to the injector while cranking?

DieselScout 05-26-2019 02:14 PM

I had the timing belt done by my mechanic around 1-2 years ago. (He's done them in the past)

How would I verify the fuel pressure? Wouldn't loosening the injector line while cranking spew diesel everywhere?

Intercooler-BurnzZ 05-27-2019 06:47 AM

Yes it would.
But in case the pressure is on one injector not high enough it would run at all, not smooth but it would work.
Have you checked if there are air bulbs in the transparent diesel fuel line going to the fuel injection pump? It also could be possible that the pump is "jammed", but in this case the car wouldn't die from one day to the other.

Best regards,
Bernd

EDITH:
The fuel pump belt is tighten? If not it maybe skipped and now the pump setting is all gone...could be a reason why it's not starting anymore...

ngoma 05-27-2019 09:27 AM

Injection line pressure is very high but very low volume. Put some towels underneath to keep any fuel from spilling on coolant hoses. You can loosen an injector line nut at the injector, slide the nut away, slightly move the end of the injector line away and watch for small spurts of fuel while cranking (have a helper twist the key while holding WOT).

The results here will give us further clues.

DieselScout 05-30-2019 03:26 PM

After disconnecting the injector line, there does not appear to be any fuel being delivered to the engine while cranking.

Does this indicate something with the injection pump?

Thanks.

-Alex

Intercooler-BurnzZ 05-31-2019 01:00 AM

You should be able to see the yella diesel in the transparent hose which indicates fuel coming to the pump.
Have you checked the fuel pipes / hoses for leakage?
Also possible: the fuel tank could be jammed with slick. Had the same with my previous 940er diesel after I filled a few times old, non-adequate filtered deep-frying oil and the car started to make problems months later (no power, bad running, no starting up etc.)... Also if you don't used this sht in your car I would check it out.

Regs,
Bernd

ngoma 05-31-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselScout (Post 13040)
After disconnecting the injector line, there does not appear to be any fuel being delivered to the engine while cranking.

Does this indicate something with the injection pump?

Thanks.

-Alex

Could indicate IP internal problem but we don't know enough yet to condemn the IP.

As Bernd mentioned, watch the clear fuel hose between the fuel filter and IP while cranking at WOT. Do you see 100% liquid fuel, 100% air, or air bubbles in fuel? NEEDS TO BE 100% liquid fuel.

Describe better "cut power to the engine while driving." Does that mean Lost power slowly and eventually sputtered out, or died suddenly? And absolutely no-start after that?