D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-29-2015, 10:39 AM
v8volvo v8volvo is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: WA
Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764
Posts: 991
Default

Did you try checking for water in the fuel, as ngoma suggested?

The fact that the symptoms began immediately after refilling the fuel tank is extremely important. You should use that as a huge clue.

Before you start taking the engine apart and replacing injectors, you NEED to confirm that the engine has a steady source of high quality, clean diesel fuel with NO air or water or gasoline in it and free fuel flow with no restrictions. The way your engine started and ran in the video you took strongly suggests major fuel restriction and/or air in the fuel and/or fuel quality issues.

A stuck injector letting compression burp into the fuel pump is a small possibility, but it is DEFINITELY NOT the first thing to investigate.

Personally, I would STRONGLY suggest getting an external fuel supply (i.e. a gas can filled with fresh, clean diesel fuel from a known good fuel source) hooked up before the filter, install a NEW fuel filter dry with no fuel in it (making sure the old filter O-rings are removed and the new O-rings are in proper position and lubricated and the filter seats and screws on tight), and, using your electric fuel pump, prime the new filter with fuel from the external can. (Loosen the bleeder screw in the filter head, energize the pump, then tighten the screw when fuel comes running out with no air in it.)
Then, let the electric pump continue running, loosen all six fuel injector unions, and crank the engine until you get a good squirt of good-smelling diesel fuel out of each injector union.
Then, tighten the injector connections and start the engine. Try to keep it running for a while to ensure it is only running on the fresh fuel from your external supply. See how it runs.

If it still runs poorly after doing all this, THEN your next step will be to investigate other possibilities. Candidates would include a stuck fuel injector or, also possible, slipped injection pump timing, or others. But if the engine is running on a contaminated or otherwise compromised fuel source, you can go on forever replacing other parts and it will still never be right. First you have to rule out any chance of trouble there, then move on to other areas.
__________________
1986 745 D24T/ZF
1983 764 D24T/M46

Last edited by v8volvo; 04-29-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-30-2015, 11:46 PM
rado561 rado561 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Did you try checking for water in the fuel, as ngoma suggested?

The fact that the symptoms began immediately after refilling the fuel tank is extremely important. You should use that as a huge clue.

Before you start taking the engine apart and replacing injectors, you NEED to confirm that the engine has a steady source of high quality, clean diesel fuel with NO air or water or gasoline in it and free fuel flow with no restrictions. The way your engine started and ran in the video you took strongly suggests major fuel restriction and/or air in the fuel and/or fuel quality issues.

A stuck injector letting compression burp into the fuel pump is a small possibility, but it is DEFINITELY NOT the first thing to investigate.

Personally, I would STRONGLY suggest getting an external fuel supply (i.e. a gas can filled with fresh, clean diesel fuel from a known good fuel source) hooked up before the filter, install a NEW fuel filter dry with no fuel in it (making sure the old filter O-rings are removed and the new O-rings are in proper position and lubricated and the filter seats and screws on tight), and, using your electric fuel pump, prime the new filter with fuel from the external can. (Loosen the bleeder screw in the filter head, energize the pump, then tighten the screw when fuel comes running out with no air in it.)
Then, let the electric pump continue running, loosen all six fuel injector unions, and crank the engine until you get a good squirt of good-smelling diesel fuel out of each injector union.
Then, tighten the injector connections and start the engine. Try to keep it running for a while to ensure it is only running on the fresh fuel from your external supply. See how it runs.

If it still runs poorly after doing all this, THEN your next step will be to investigate other possibilities. Candidates would include a stuck fuel injector or, also possible, slipped injection pump timing, or others. But if the engine is running on a contaminated or otherwise compromised fuel source, you can go on forever replacing other parts and it will still never be right. First you have to rule out any chance of trouble there, then move on to other areas.
Thanks for the advice i tried that today but it still works badly.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-03-2015, 08:22 AM
v8volvo v8volvo is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: WA
Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764
Posts: 991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado561 View Post
Thanks for the advice i tried that today but it still works badly.
OK, so you went through each one of those things, step by step? Used an external fuel can, electric fuel pump, new fuel filter, bled the fuel lines, and everything else, and it still ran exactly the same?

If you feel 110% certain that you have ruled out the possibility of fuel supply problems, and the injection pump is getting nothing but perfectly clean, high-quality fuel under positive pressure with no contamination or air in it, then you should go ahead and investigate other possibilities.

It sounds like what you really want to do is throw a set of injectors at it. That's OK as something to try; the only problem is that it's a very expensive test (in other words, if you haven't fully checked out other possibilities, there's a solid chance that new injectors will make no difference in the engine's problem). As long as you are prepared for the possibility of spending hundreds of dollars and potentially not fixing the problem, you may as well go ahead. If new injectors do fix it, then that's great, and if they don't, then new injectors are never a bad thing anyway -- yours likely have many miles on them and would benefit from a refresh.

The alternative is to continue working through diagnostic steps before spending money on new parts. If you have a hunch that it has a stuck injector, you can try to identify that injector by opening injector connections one by one with the engine running (in your case you might need need a helper to keep their foot on the accelerator and keep the engine running long enough to do this). Stay back from the high-pressure spray, but as you crack open each injector connection with your 17mm wrench, you should hear/feel that cylinder quit firing and see a nice squirt of fuel out of the loosened connection. If there is an injector stuck open, then when you get to that one, what you'll see instead is a bunch of foam coming out and no effect on the engine's operation with the injector disabled.

If you do that test and find one or more injectors that show signs of malfunction, then you've located your issue. But if not, then the likelihood of getting good results from buying a set of new injectors is very low.

FWIW: the only times I've ever seen an injector stick were in situations where an engine had sat for many, many years or where injectors had just been installed and a piece of contamination had gotten into an open union. Very unusual for them to just suddenly stick during regular operation, with no provocation.
__________________
1986 745 D24T/ZF
1983 764 D24T/M46
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-03-2015, 12:31 PM
ngoma ngoma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
new injectors are never a bad thing anyway...
Been hearing about subpar quality on some new injectors (made in India?). If so, the old injectors might be better. Especially after a clean/reset. Especially especially after a clean/new nozzles (Monark)/reset.
__________________
1985 744 gle d24t
1985 745 gle d24t
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-03-2015, 09:28 PM
v8volvo v8volvo is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: WA
Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764
Posts: 991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Been hearing about subpar quality on some new injectors (made in India?). If so, the old injectors might be better. Especially after a clean/reset. Especially especially after a clean/new nozzles (Monark)/reset.
Good point. Even more reason to only go down the path of injector repair/refresh/replacement IF you pinpoint them as a definite problem area through a proper linear diagnostic process, no?
__________________
1986 745 D24T/ZF
1983 764 D24T/M46
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-04-2015, 08:01 PM
ngoma ngoma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 621
Default

Yes, systematic troubleshooting procedures can minimize frustration, wasted time, and money.

Your suggestion for the next step (loosening the injector union nuts one-by-one and watching/listening for diminished idle or non-affected idle) was a good one, good call!

rado561 when you perform this test try to keep fuel from dripping or spraying on the coolant hoses.
__________________
1985 744 gle d24t
1985 745 gle d24t
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-05-2015, 07:45 AM
v8volvo v8volvo is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: WA
Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764
Posts: 991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
suggestion for the next step (loosening the injector union nuts one-by-one and watching/listening for diminished idle or non-affected idle) was a good one, good call!
Assuming the engine is able to keep running long enough and steadily enough to get any results from it -- based on the way we have seen it run, that may be challenging.

I'm still thinking either a fuel delivery or quality issue, if those haven't been fully checked out, or slipped timing as the second place candidate, then injector issues as least likely. Perhaps we should establish a forum pool and start taking bets?
__________________
1986 745 D24T/ZF
1983 764 D24T/M46
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-05-2015, 09:59 AM
rado561 rado561 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 18
Default

hi everyone again. After a month i found the solution FINALLY! I found one more copper o ring and replaced it after uninstalling the IP. Also uninstalled all of the injectors and cleaned them with a needle and toothbrush. Installed all of the parts a little set and its running good! Thank everybody for help!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-05-2015, 09:03 PM
ngoma ngoma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 621
Default

Thanks for the update. If you could describe which o-ring it was that was causing all the problem maybe that could help someone in the future who finds this page.
__________________
1985 744 gle d24t
1985 745 gle d24t
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-07-2015, 03:30 AM
rado561 rado561 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 18
Default

on this picture its not exactly the same pump put that is the o ring https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...MFk&authuser=0
I hope its going to help!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.