D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 AM

Vehicle: VW LT40 4x4 (x2)
Default VW LT40 4x4 x2 and VW T4 TDI

Howdy,

I'm originally from Denmark, but live in Ireland now for nearly 9 years. I've been lurking around the forum for a good while, but never registered. Obviously that had to be remedied.

While my diesels aren't Volvo's, they obviously have the same engines that are in the Volvos.

A '93 VW LT40 4x4 with the DV D24T engine. On the right my (now bust) TDI Syncro Caravelle.

A '89 VW LT40 4x4 with the DV D24T engine.

I also have this '99 VW Transporter TDI Syncro

Both T4's would have the same engine as the Volvo 850, just at 102 bhp. The white one was specialed up to 140 bhp/240 ft-lb (bigger injectors, bigger intercooler, remap), the yellow one should hopefully be around 150-160 bhp (bigger injectors, bigger intercooler, hybrid turbo, de-cat, remap).

I do have a Volvo also (340 1.7), but with a petrol engine. At the moment I'm in negotiations for a '96 Volvo 940 with the D24TIC engine, which I then want to rebuild to near new standard, tune a bit up and shoe-horn into the white LT40, including intercooler and all.

/M

Last edited by Marlow; 11-26-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Welcome! Nice to see more LT vans on here, the non-Volvo Volvo Diesels are fun to learn about. We are also trying to encourage more participation by owners of newer diesel Volvos, 850 2.5 TDI included, so glad to see you have a couple vehicles with that motor as well. What broke on your TDI Caravelle? I'm not familiar with what goes wrong in those motors, see a lot of 4-cylinder VW TDI's but none of the fives of course, curious to learn more about them.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
What broke on your TDI Caravelle? I'm not familiar with what goes wrong in those motors, see a lot of 4-cylinder VW TDI's but none of the fives of course, curious to learn more about them.
Not the engine A concrete wall ended it's life, I'm afraid.

The TDI engines in the T4 and the 850 are in my opinion the most reliable diesel that VW ever manufactured. I've seen unmaintained engines with up to 720000 km on the clock. The same engines were also in the 2nd generation LT.

My Caravelle was tuned at 401000 km and had 440000 km on the clock at the time of the accident. The engine is still perfect and I have taken it out to be used as spare engine for the Transporter.

/M
Old 09-14-2013, 10:24 AM

A good few bits and pieces have happened. In March, I was back home in Denmark and collected the orange LT.

With nearly 500000 km on the clock, it's not precisely a low miler, but the swedish department of forrestry has done their homework, when it comes to maintainence.

There was already a new cylinder head fitted.

Anyhow, I've so far done over 20000 km and a few issues have cropped up. Even though we did everything that needed to be done (like new timing belts, tensioners and waterpump) before I left Denmark, the oil pressure sensor failed on the way through Germany.

I managed to get to a friend in the Netherlands, topping oil up every 50 km and fixed that there.

On my next trip in June, the plastic t-piece, that sits in the coolant circuit coming from the header tank and to the engine with an overflow back into the header tank split lengthwise. Unfortunatly, I was in the middle of the UK, when this happened. As luck wanted it, a friend of mine was leaving Ireland 2 days after me to go on holidays and could bring the sparepart with him from my parts van.

I've done a good bit of work, mainly getting on top of rust issues, but also temporarily fitting out the back, using mdf for now, to get my head around my layout for the camper. It'll be done in some nice wood, when I have a precise idea about the final layout.

The exhaust system had been replaced with a stainless steel exhaust, as the old one broke. Also, the original exhaust was routed over the propshaft to the right. I've now routed it directly out to the left instead.

The drivers seat has been replaced with a fully electric sports seat in Alcantara from an E36 BMW M3.

Bigger tyres have been fit.

Before

Standard fitment: 7.50x16 All Terrains

After

9.00x16 (or 255/100/16) Mud Terrains

After my last UK trip, I had some issues with the Turbo and my oil light flashing for a while after starting the engine from cold, even though there was enough oil.

The verdict was, that my oil pump is shagged and the bearings in the turbo are gone.

The problem with that is, that my spareparts van has a non-turbo D24, so not even the oilpump is the same. (D24 oil pump has 2 gears, D24T oil pump has 4 gears.)

I managed to get my hands on a 1997 Volvo 940 with the D24TIC yesterday, which I'm going to take the necessary parts of and eventually the engine will be reconditioned and put back together, so I have a spare engine.

The Volvo has 182000 miles on the clock and it looks like the injector pump is clogged up, but there's a tight and resently refurbed turbo in there and everything else looks ok. Body wise, it's in real bad shape. Dented all over the place, interior mank, etc. So the best is to break that car.

To give you an idea of the differences of the Volvo and the LT engine, here some snaps

VW LT engine (type DV)

Volvo 940 D24TIC engine

The likes of alternator, powersteering pump etc. are bolted on in different places. The rocker cover is different in regards to where the oil cap is. The air-intake is routed differently.

But beyond that, there are no differences. So with one bust for one and one whole engine for the other things can be bolted for either vehicle.

/M
Old 09-14-2013, 02:28 PM

And just to give an idea, how capable the truck actually is.

Here some pictures from Busfest 2013 in the UK last weekend.

/M
Old 09-14-2013, 10:07 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default A magic time travel!

You drive in style
Good rides&nice setup! Compared to USA it`s so easy (still) in European countries to find old-school vehicles that have our beloved d24, d24t or tic. And we still can`t get the newer diesel Volvos in the US. Come on!!

I love the front view of your orange bulldog VW.

Somehow it reminds me of a Mercedes Benz `307 D` or the 407 D which has a similar `face` and body style.
(Those diesels were equipped with the good old OM 616, 617 engines.)
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8...fekwalttb8.jpg
http://eng.auto24.ee/used/676094

http://www.flickr.com/photos/omandry/8587118178/ -->This paint, combined with your wheels, ohhh.
OMG your car looks like a russian amphibian, the BRDM-2. Did you ever think about a matte camou paintwork?
It would look terrificly aggressive.
http://jalopnik.com/400207/the-ten-f...es-of-all-time

Last edited by RedArrow; 09-14-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
You drive in style
I love the front view of your orange bulldog VW.

Somehow it reminds me of a Mercedes Benz `307 D` or the 407 D which has a similar `face` and body style.
(Those diesels were equipped with the good old OM 616, 617 engines.)
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8...fekwalttb8.jpg
http://eng.auto24.ee/used/676094
There was even 4x4's of those available. Not by Mercedes directly obviously. But Iglhaut, who also convert Sprinters these days to 4x4, did them in 4x4.

Here is a converted 410D

I've always been more in favour of VW so, so I'll stick with that.

Quote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/omandry/8587118178/ -->This paint, combined with your wheels, ohhh.
It would look terrificly aggressive.
It had crossed my mind, but I actually like the orange color and the camo color has been overdone, from what I've seen.

The other 4x4 LT I have, which is white, was originally dark yellow and the inside still shows this, as the colorchange has been done very poorly.

I was thinking of painting it back to yellow and then giving it tiger stripes.

/M
Old 09-15-2013, 06:45 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Offroad d24t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
There was even 4x4's of those available.

I've always been more in favour of VW so, so I'll stick with that.

/M
Such a lovely tricolor. 4x4 is nice too. When I was a teenager, they were still being used as ambulance vehicles, fire trucks, road service, forestry, etc, idk about now. I loved them because many of them Diesels.

Here in the USA it`s hard to find old-school setups and not too many options for diesels either unless you are a great inventor/mechanic.

I met this family when camping in Yellowstone N Park. He kept idling next to my car. I could not hear the d24t at all but it was a well built offroad gear.
He has 90.000 ($ not miles) in it so far and upgrading! Of course it has a big diesel engine, of course it is a Cummins (6L engine, it`s the USA )

I`m curious if a d24t could somehow get dropped into one of these vans. If it moves a Pinz, then it`s not that hard to power a van, right? I`d love to know. (Or only into the trunk of it? )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5760.jpg (96.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5759.jpg (92.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-15-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I`m curious if a d24t could somehow get dropped into one of these vans. If it moves a Pinz, then it`s not that hard to power a van, right? I`d love to know. (Or only into the trunk of it? )
Theoretically, the D24T can be mated to a lot of things. The LT 4x4's are 2.5t empty, 4-5t laden.

The Volvo 940 D24TIC engine has 240 Nm (177 ft lb) or torque. The VW LT DV engine (no intercooler/D24T) has 200 Nm (148 ft lb) and the VW LT ACL (D24TIC) has 220 Nm (162 ft lb), so they should be powerful enough to pull a truck like that.

/M
Old 09-15-2013, 12:11 PM

Default camo green lt

ive seen that camo green lt on the road its low fast and loud ! wonder if he ever looks at d24 site?