D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2013, 01:31 PM

Vehicle: 1984 244 D24

Ya don't see this everyday! Not recommended for highway travel LOL getting Ronald in the garage finally... took almost a week to make room it was near hoarder status... More pics shortly I'm gonna go fetch some clear fuel line and rob the new battery my dad got for his tractor and start crankin on it again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1939.jpg (97.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
More pics shortly I'm gonna go fetch some clear fuel line and rob the new battery my dad got for his tractor and start crankin on it again
We want videos!
Old 11-09-2013, 11:35 AM

Ok so I have made some progress. Installed new napa gold fuel filter and clear lines between filter and fuel send line and between pump return and return hard line. Didnt want to cut off line that goes between pump input and filter and didn't think that was what i was told to do anyways...

I bled the air out of filter up to pump then cranked until i had fuel to all injectors and tightened lines down. Verified I had voltage to glow plug bus bar when relay is activated... however multimeter is MIA so unable to perform voltage drop test (little brother swears he doesn't have it but I know I loaned it to him!)

Proceeded to try and start engine with not a puff or a clack and I swear this thing turns way to easy for a diesel... low compression? Spinning plenty fast enough battery is new and big.

So I have been curious of valve clearances and bought valve cover gasket to address this (and the oil leaking out) a few months ago so I removed valve cover and checked my clearances and everything looked pretty good. had one intake valve at like .014" but this is barely out of spec didn't think it should be affecting her too much so put new gasket on and sealed back up.

So back to the glow plugs... Pulled em all out. Covered in diesel and some sludge. Don't look like they have heated for a while. So I get a jumper wire and manually test them individually directly to battery. All 6 are toast. So kinda embarrassed and happy at same time. I used autolite plugs which was what was in stock at the time. If I would have researched even a little I would have learned these are garbage and could have spent $2 more each and waited a day or two for them. Had an old NGK in glove box (which i found shortly after buying the 6 autolites this spring) and seems like NGKs are ok to use... Oh and just ordered 5 bosch plugs which will be here monday. only $12 bucks the junk autolites were $10 so really a no brainer here I learned the hard way!!

Any opinions on the NGK? took a picture i figure its same or better than what they make today not sure how old but at least a few years... I'll put up front just in case... damn that #6 plug what a bitch!! 2nd time was a little easier and having the hood off and a shop light directly overhead is very nice compared to my usual style of farm repairs in the driveway!!

I'll try and get a video when I get new plugs in and crank for first time but not sure how this camera handles video... old 4mp digital I recently stepped on iPhone and not in the budget to replace as long as the volvo stays in the garage lol!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1944.jpg (82.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1948.jpg (97.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1950.jpg (83.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1941.jpg (82.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1951.jpg (80.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Got another question while I'm waiting for these plugs to get here... so how bad is all the diesel that's sitting in cylinders? Is there a way or a reason to get it out while I have glowplugs off? Will it affect starting later other than smoke? Would it be bad Idea to crank engine to try and blow diesel out of holes? I have done this with 2 stroke gas engines when flooded but don't want to risk sucking anything in or anything either so please ignore my stupidity... just know theres been a lot of diesel squirted in cylinders without ignition from previous starting attempts. What about adding oil into cylinders to help seal the rings? Any advice is much appreciated!!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:36 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Disconnect the glow relay, and the shutoff valve on the pump, and crank away.
Not sure about NGK, but I'd go for self regulating plugs like the Bosch Duraterm.

The diesel is oil in the cyls, and you won't get it all out, so job done.

Those VC gaskets are reusable, but you nave to be sure the shouldered studs in the head are fully seated, or it will leak. they like to back out some wile you remove the nut.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:41 PM

Default 5-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
So back to the glow plugs... Pulled em all out. All 6 are toast. So kinda embarrassed and happy at same time. Had an old NGK in glove box (which i found shortly after buying the 6 autolites this spring) and seems like NGKs are ok to use... Oh and just ordered 5 bosch plugs
I thought it is highly recommended to have the same exact (6) plugs for best results.
(?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BERU vs BOSCH.jpg (17.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 11-09-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Added pictures and info
Old 11-09-2013, 09:34 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

For sure in a car like a TDI ALH where they are monitored by OBD, that spooky thing detects which one is failing going out before it even goes dark.
You also sertainly will not get good results mixing fast and slow plugs.

Interesting pic there. In my China/Prothe vs Bosch Duraterm comparison, I noticed the Chinas heated faster to glowing at the tip, while the Bosch ran a lower temp but heated 2/3 of the plug instead of just the tip.
Beru are supposed to be top notch too.
I'm guessing that is not your experiment?

Last edited by 745 TurboGreasel; 11-09-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:58 PM

Yeah think i got those they are 80010 bosch plugs.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:18 PM

Oh and thanks for the advice I saved the old gasket it seemed to be in good shape but just learned my lesson on my bus after doin first valve adjustment ever I reused the old gaskets... started dripping a little in a couple weeks then got way worse and burst after 3-4 weeks luckily i caught it as it happened (well the trail I followed back home as I left the store was kinda obvious in the rain... it was trippy man a rainbow followed me everywhere I went LOL)
Old 11-10-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel View Post
For sure in a car like a TDI ALH where they are monitored by OBD, that spooky thing detects which one is failing going out before it even goes dark.
You also sertainly will not get good results mixing fast and slow plugs.

Interesting pic there. In my China/Prothe vs Bosch Duraterm comparison, I noticed the Chinas heated faster to glowing at the tip, while the Bosch ran a lower temp but heated 2/3 of the plug instead of just the tip.
Beru are supposed to be top notch too.
I'm guessing that is not your experiment?
I didn`t take that pic myself, it was attached to illustrate those plugs in action. There was this td Volvo friend of us having issues with his newly installed Berus (2-3 of them burned out, short term, twice---?what`s wrong?) so we decided to use Bosch plugs for our 760s. (BTW, the Diesel shop advised against the Berus for some reason although they were more exp than Bosch...!?) Yeah, but Beru supposed to be perfect so I can blame him for punching his dashboard manual toggle-glow way too much when his pump lost prime at night. We got Bosch plugs and they worked perfectly. I don`t know part #s, it was centuries ago.
I will ask G about the plugs and order a set if I get the correct part #s.