D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2012, 11:07 AM

Default headgasket leak

Well, after removing the vacum pump a number of times and refitting it with gasket sealent i am positive the headgasket is leaking oil between the block and cyclinder head.It does not pour out,but it has started getting a bit worse,that side of the block is always soaked with oil,so i am hoping someone could tell me if they have had similar issues and what they did to cure this problem?I am thinking of torqueing the headbolts again but am worried this is not a good idea,the coolant has not been contaminated with oil yet so if i can fix this before that happens that would be great.
Also, I am going to fit a intercooler(my engine is the d24t)so i just wanted to know will i loose some boost pressure,if so will i have to fit a mbc and turn the boost back up to spec?

Thank very much for your help guys
Old 05-14-2012, 02:57 PM

If you are 100% sure the cylinder head gasket is leaking, then really the only smart move is to replace it before proceeding with any modifications. The head bolts are stretch bolts which are tightened to yield point so re-tightening them is not likely to give you a better clamping force. You are probably only delaying the inevitable.
It seems the Multi Layer Steel gasket is the best way to go.

Steve
Old 05-14-2012, 04:00 PM

You are probably right,if i was to turn up the boost that would most definitely blow the gasket completely.When i have the head off is there anything i should replace on it.When the engine is cold in the morning it smokes for a few minutes then it clears,could that be the valve seals are gone.
Thanks for your reply
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 AM

Had exactly the same issue when I bought mine, was definitely leaking oil out between the block and cylinder head. Never got any worse, and had probably been going on for a while like that.

As a "quick fix" someone advised me to retorque the headbolt, then take them out one by one and replace with new ones. I did this but it mus have disturbed the gasket as coolant/oil started mixing then.

Only real fix is to change the gasket - I used an Ajusa MLS gasket sources from "Engine Parts UK". Think the new bolts, MLS gasket and inlet/exhaust gaskets were about £65 delivered if I remember right. I also did Cambelt, IP belt, IP timing, water pump and idler at the same time.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:56 AM

Thanks ian,yes i will probably go ahead and change the gasket.I want to turn the boost up anyway so will have to do this job.Did you do your own work,if so could you tell me the exact tools i need for taking the head off and retiming when i finish. Cheers