D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Old 10-23-2015, 11:29 PM

Default Volvo 740 starts but doesn'stop!

Hi everyone! My d24tic has a problem, it starts and works good but when i turn the key left the engine continues to work. All the gadgets lose power but the engine works. It happened from nowhere just one day when I was driving my car without any problem. If someone has solution please share
Old 10-24-2015, 06:30 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 740 Wagon

A bad fuel shut off solenoid or the rarer phenomenon of the crankcase gases being consumed as fuel. The solenoid operates on 12 volts. If I doesn't click when battery voltage is applied it is likely faulty. Since your car is probably an automatic choking it down will be difficult. Fuel line pliers can be used to stop fuel flow before it reaches the fuel filter. Regular pliers will destroy your fuel line. Fuel line pliers have smooth jaws.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:37 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default temporary

Many injection pumps (though mostly only on automatic tranny cars OR manual ones that have their pump from an automatic) have a manual shut-off lever... in case of an emergency. Use that until you figure out the fix for the problem. It is located on the drivers side of the pump itself.
Good thing to have but in case of a runaway situation i wouldnt be too brave to find and use that....
Im planning to screw on an extension with a knob on the end so it is easily accessible. A 50-70mm long metric m7 'standoff' does the trick.

So,push that lever towards the front of the car and it will cut fuel.Just like the red "Stop " option in the engine bay of older diesel Mercedes cars. Great to have when those cant be stopped (ign switch problems or low compr)

Last edited by RedArrow; 10-24-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default this is the one...

...if you have it on your pump...

Or use something like this:

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...656896&alt=web
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-1445748527814-V.jpg (64.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 10-25-2015 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:58 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado561 View Post
Hi everyone! My d24tic has a problem, it starts and works good but when i turn the key left the engine continues to work. All the gadgets lose power but the engine works. It happened from nowhere just one day when I was driving my car without any problem. If someone has solution please share
First, verify the correct operation of the fuel shutoff solenoid by disconnecting its +12V wire while the engine is running. Engine should shut down, starved for fuel. If not, the solenoid valve has stuck in the open position. If removing the +12V source wire shuts off the engine, your problem is in the wiring.

Find the fuel shutoff solenoid screwed into top of the high pressure fuel distribution head. You should be able to easily pull off the spade connector light blue wire from its terminal.

Fuel shutoff solenoid shown in this photo, circled in yellow:

Here is another view, circled in red: