D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2014, 10:30 PM

Default --Moved-- New from PDX

Figured I'd say hello.

Getting ready to acquire tools to to the T-belt and re-time the injection pump and do glow plugs.

Recommendations for where to buy the special tools, a replacement cold start device, replacement engine wiring harness, fresh water pump,, fresh nozzles with a rebuild procedure and fresh glow plugs and all that?

It's about to need a t-belt. Advancer lever works on the injection pump (verified), compression is good, timing seems a bit off, it is extremely loud when moving the advancer lever (for cold start device) into the advanced position (cold start device disabled, idling speed raised to compensate).

Is it possible to update to the 84.5+ glow plug relay arrangement? I pulled one of those relays, but mine, being an '83 265GL M46, has the 2 relay setup and is awkwardly stuck on. I'd be fine with fixing the 2-relay arrangement I guess, as long as I can wire in a larger relay to carry the current.

More interested in quality lasting repairs than temporary. Need the cold start device, doesn't want to fire up when it is 27F out, but if you zip-tie the lever all the way advanced it starts, though it runs waay scary noisy like that, so I'm guessing someone kinda split the difference on the advance on that.

Have met Kevin, SMN3D, casioqv in person. Never met V8volvo. I used to passionately hate these, as you'd never make book time flat rate on them, stink of diesel, and 1/8" cracks in the head were allowable per the book :wtf: Now, I'm kinda OK with it given it's my car and I don't have to hustle too much...and old car is an old car.

James from PDX.

Last edited by Fridgewagon; 11-20-2014 at 11:54 PM.