D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Classifieds > Items Wanted

Old 07-14-2018, 03:17 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default AC

Massive, catastrophic overheating happened today.

It was not the engine but the driver.
My d24t doesn't have ac because (i think) the compressor is bad.
I would love to have one and try installing and restarting the system, adding everything it needs to work well. I'm not sure what it needs... i know that it hasn't worked for appr 7 years but at least it has all AC parts in place except the ac belt (removed by previous owner).
Maybe some of you PNW Volvo owners who don't use much AC at all, may have extra parts available. Thank you in advance!

Today I completely melted away in the red 745 magma chamber, while outside it was "ONLY" around 97F...(((It felt like sitting in a fishtank that is placed on the surface of the Sun. ....I think all it probably needs are a good compressor, new orings plus a charge. I thought I would give it a try here on the d24t forum.
Thanks again!
Old 07-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Sounds worth doing after that experience. The AC systems in these cars can work very well.

Your first project may be trying to figure out what (if anything) needs to be replaced in the system. The compressor might well be OK. You can do a basic check by seeing if the pulley can turn by hand and testing the clutch electrically. If it seems OK, you can take the car to an AC shop or mobile service and have them pull a vacuum on the system to see if it has any major leaks. If it holds then you may as well let them add some dye and give it a charge of your refrigerant of choice, then see what happens. R12 seems to work the best in these old systems but some simple conversion parts and R134a works almost as well, at much lower cost and easier availability. I have R12 in one of mine and R134a in the other and the difference is minimal, both cool effectively. If the system has been open or leaked out for a long time they may recommend replacing the drier as well.

If it does need a compressor then one option is to use a compressor from a gas Volvo, mounting locations are close enough to interchange. Some can use the same lines, others you need one or two of the lines from the gas car also but the B230 installation is very similar so the parts fit fine and work well. If other replacement parts are needed much of the system is based on GM designs and as a result many of the common replacement parts are easy and cheap to buy.

Getting an old and long defunct AC system back up and running can seem like a large task due to the number of unknowns, but if you can be systematic and have a little good fortune it can turn out to be less trouble than expected. Good luck and hope it's a success, keep us posted.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:50 PM

Thank you so much for the motivation and detailed response, I will do as you suggested!
Old 07-31-2018, 03:44 AM

Vehicle: 740 turbodiesel

In addition to the above, it's often considered worthwhile to replace all the O ring seals in the system at all the pipe joints.

I replaced all mine when sorting my 740 turbodiesel A/C system recently. I had pretty much the whole system apart anyway. Just go careful the joints aren't seized as you can damage the pipework if they are
Old 07-31-2018, 06:11 AM

Default AC seals

Is there a seal kit available or did you have to hunt all sizes separately?
Old 08-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Vehicle: 740 turbodiesel

I bought one of these kits...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263289570876 - equivalent of about 6 dollars and every size needed. I'm sure you'll be able to find similar on US eBay

Tags
air conditional, d24t, fix, overheating