D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2010, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 83 245 D24T
Default 1983 245 D24 to D24T

Im sort of in the middle of this engine swap. Seems like there ar some experienced folks here. Im pretty new to the D24T but have owned a number of old Volvos. I have already done this to my VW Rabbit truck, and the power difference is so much needed just to contend with today's traffic. I have a D24T from an 84 760 which needs oversized pistons in a bad way. Still sorting a source for those out. Im not familiar with the different transmissions but the 245 has a 4 speed with the OD unit. M46 I think. Works but is making some noise. Anyway here is the 245. Solid, no rust, a quarter million miles. The current D24 is tired and runs like a slug trying to get away from a salt shaker.

Here is the Caddy. Still in progress.

Here is the D24T beit came out and was tore down
Old 03-07-2010, 06:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

D24T sits more upright, and the D24 is slanted a bit.

I found it easier to mod the 240 cross member so my D24T sits almost straight up. but more like in between where the 760 and 240 D24's sit. I did this so I had more room for the compressor to fit. I've heard of people having issues with the turbo fitment when they leave the D24 sitting in the original position in the 240's.

So, I not only had to mod the crossmember but I HAD to use the D24T bell housing for the M46 transmission. the transmission sits at a slant away from me. So the stick leans more towards the passenger, I could mod the shifter holder and rod to sit in the stock location but I don't care. Its fine.

I love my D24T + 240!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Where are you located? Somewhere rusty by the looks of that D24T... I have a motor from Pennsylvania that looks similar to yours.

Do you still have the rest of the car the turbo motor came out of? Was it an automatic or a stick? Looks like an auto, I think I see a kickdown cable there, but if it's a stick you might be better off finding a nice 7 series wagon to use as a starting point for the swap. They are nicer cars than 240s, and the motor will fit much better -- you won't have turbo clearance issues, and D24Ts in 700s also have room for a clutch fan up front, easier access to the rear belt, etc, etc. Some people prefer the look and feel of the 240, though, and if you're one of those people nothing I can say will convince you that the 700 is a superior automobile, no matter what the truth may be.

If your 760 is a stick and you do want to use the 245 as the car the motor ends up in, you can swap bellhousings and use the 760 trans with the 240 BH. That will solve your noisy tranny issue.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:35 AM

I was under the impression when I started this project that it would be a straight up swap, and that the externals on the D24, and D24T were the same when it came to the block for transmission mounting and engine mounts as well. The 760 had an automatic trans. Its good to hear these things before I get to work though. I went out and looked at the 240 and I see where there might be a problem with the Turbo clearance.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 AM

Tell you what, ship the car to me, and I'll put it all together! ) I love doing these swaps. I get to be creative Not a hard task at all.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobodan View Post
Tell you what, ship the car to me, and I'll put it all together! ) I love doing these swaps. I get to be creative Not a hard task at all.
No thanks but will it bolt in at the 240 slant with the NA transmission? I'll deal with the turbo another way if needed.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Get a D24T M46 bellhousing. Use it. Use the D24T pass side engine to mount bracket and use the pass side 240 D24 crossmember to mount bracket.
Hack up and chop out a section of crossmember to accomodate the D24T oil pan. Doing this will prop up the engine enough for proper turbo/frame rail clearance. The transmission will sit slanted but its mighty fine. You may need to shim up the transmount to move the transmission up a bit to get the engine to sit more level North/South. View my D24T into 240 thread. You can also check out my Photo gallery. You should be able to see it.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:56 AM

No. I think I will use the NA oil pan, and weld in an oil return bung for an oil return fitting. Thinkin about trimming that frame rail.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Where are you located? Somewhere rusty by the looks of that D24T... I have a motor from Pennsylvania that looks similar to yours.

Do you still have the rest of the car the turbo motor came out of? Was it an automatic or a stick? Looks like an auto, I think I see a kickdown cable there, but if it's a stick you might be better off finding a nice 7 series wagon to use as a starting point for the swap. They are nicer cars than 240s, and the motor will fit much better -- you won't have turbo clearance issues, and D24Ts in 700s also have room for a clutch fan up front, easier access to the rear belt, etc, etc. Some people prefer the look and feel of the 240, though, and if you're one of those people nothing I can say will convince you that the 700 is a superior automobile, no matter what the truth may be.

If your 760 is a stick and you do want to use the 245 as the car the motor ends up in, you can swap bellhousings and use the 760 trans with the 240 BH. That will solve your noisy tranny issue.
Gonna stay with the 240. The 760 came out of a field in TN. I no longer have the car. Im going ahead and building the turbo motor, and if I have too I may run it for a while as an NA if the turbo gives me much clearance issures. Once I see it in there, I will know more. The older 240s have less junky Volvo plastic to crack up.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsmith View Post
There are lotsof ideas here!!!!!!!!!
but people seem to be very casual with this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any body interested in a joint venture ?
I got some stuff to share
Explain joint venture. To update the thread, I now have a new set of .050 OS pistons and the block is being bored. I plan to post pics of the build. Pistons cost me $95.00 a piece. Took a while to shop and build up the play $$$