D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Old 11-02-2017, 09:21 AM

Vehicle: 83 760 GLE
Default Turns Over Won't Start

Hi all,
I have an 83 760. Driving home one night it just died. Tried to restart and it turns over but nothing. I get 12v to the wire for the fuel cutoff valve, but can't hear any clicks. How do you get the thing out? Do I really have to take half the pump apart?
I'm out on the boat and have horrible internet. Anyone know the part number? I would lime to send an email and get my wife to order.
Thanks Guys.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:50 AM
Supporting Member

Possible but not easy to remove the fuel cutoff solenoid in-car. Better to do some more troubleshooting before you condemn the solenoid and go through the hassle of replacing it.

You mentioned you had 12V to the wire, but remember the wiring on these cars is Bosch biodegradable and therefore suspect. VOM could measure +12VDC yet the wire might not be able to pass sufficient amperage to operate the solenoid.

Disconnect the existing wire to the solenoid (remove the wire from the tang on the end of the solenoid) and attach a good jumper wire right to the tang. Touch the other end of the wire to the battery + post and listen for the solenoid click. Sometimes it's hard to hear it so you may want to place a finger on the solenoid to feel the thud.