D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Older VW IDI diesels are remarkable, they will start OK even with almost no compression as long as they have good glow plugs in them. I suppose the prechamber design must be very efficient. My old Rabbit was similar -- started and ran perfect but drank oil almost as fast as it used fuel. They can do that and still seem to work well, but you have to be careful.....
Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote..... I'm going to google it after this post, but now that I know its almost all blow by... what exactly does this tell me?

Thanks again,

Your rings are shot I'm afraid.
You can do the job in the car if you drop the suspension cross member so pan can be removed. Of course the head will have to come off anyway.

Otherwise you will have to yank the engine and do a host of other things you hadn't planned on doing either.

Steve
Old 01-18-2010, 11:31 PM

My car is not leaking... It is just marking itīs territory
My car uses quite a bit of oil, maybe 2 quarts of oil in 500 miles, I have aloose engine due for a rebuild, just waiting for summer to come along and Iīll get right on it...
Here in sweden people think Iam crazy for doing a rebuild on an old d24tic, and yes you canīt justify it economicaly, but I would just once like to drive a d24tic like it was from the factory, It is a love/hate relationship...
Old 01-24-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
You could get a decent amount of oil through the guides if the valve seals are petrafied and flaking apart. These engines are known to wear rings and have compression issues, especially the NA cars because of softer blocks, and more soot accumulation around the rings. The BG 109 is good stuff. We sell it at my shop. I don't know if we have a bottle of it right now, we only keep one in stock as most people dont know what the hell it is. We can order one and get it next time we get stuff from BG. I think it goes for about 20 bucks a bottle. For the consumption to be that high, I would suspect lots of wear, or totally crapped up and stuck rings. As I said, the oil consumption really cant get much worse, but you might as well do a compression check before you go any further.

Jason
Ok, found a local supplier for BG109, he said that I would need a quart of the stuff. Is it worth it? or do you guys think I'm wasting my $$ and should just watch my oil levels and get it re-ringed in the spring-summer.
I still don't know how much the BG109 is going to cost, I'll find out monday.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Owner/admin

Like I said we sell it for around 20 bucks a bottle. It cant hurt anything. Chances are the rings are shot, but you never know. It could just be crapped up and stuck rings. I still say its worth a try for 20 bucks or so.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!