D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom

Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 AM

Cool 960 D24-tic, UK

Hi,

I'd been thinking for a while about posting up a build thread on my UK 960, but after a bit of a poke from Ian2000t, I thought I'd sort it out!

Anyway...

I was running a 960 2.5 manual Petrol (Gasser for all you US boys!) and a manual 940 d24-tic for work.

The 960 was pretty much immaculate and picked up for pennies on account of running on 4 cylinders, instead of 6, but was sorted with a new inlet manifold gasket.

The 940 was being used purely as a workhorse, I'd ripped out the rear seats and boarded it out.

It was great and ran really well, but the yearly test was on it's way and it would never pass without loads spending on it, it had a broken windscreen and various suspension problems

Seriously crap picture!

So, I really liked the grunt of the d24.

Trouble is, Volvo nerer released a d24 960 in the UK, unlike much of mainland Europe, so I thought I'd have a go at creating my own!!

As a total lack of garage space existed (I live in an appartment!) and all my freinds with drives didn't want to know me now it was time to call in a favour, I resigned myself to working by the side of the road outside my Dad's house.

So out came the d24 from the 940:

And the Whiteblock from the 960:

Result - 2 useless Volvo estates sat on axle stands on the road!!

All this was done in a weekend, and right at the death on the Sunday, I managed to drop the d24 into the bay of the 960

Also, the rest of the 940 that I didn't need was sent for scrap.

Now, during the course of the next week, a bunch of Pikeys (English for theiving Gypsey scum!) decided to help themselves and made off with pretty much everything else I needed to complete the conversion, exhausts, propshafts, radiadors, I/C etc!

So, at this point the project stalled a little!

About a month later, I just needed to hear it run for my own sanity, so after cobbling together a cooling system and throwing in some temporary wiring, this happened:

The project continued over the course of the next year, as my enthusiasm came and went (Not helped by the fact that I had to buy another car for work to tide me over, so time ended up being spent on that!)

Among many things, I removed the viscous fan and fitted a MASSIVE Kenlowe electric one that I had from my old Shogun, fed in proper feeds for the glow-plug light and have a proper rev counter.

I used half the 960 clock set (Grey faced) and half 940 (Black) with some chrome bezels to make these:

Here's the engine bay pretty much as it stands now, apart from the temporary feed to the fuel sollenoid seen here:

I've still got loads of bits and pieces left to sort out, like the cruise control and A/C, but I'll get there in the end!

Oh, I bought a nice set of 18" Pegasus replicas for it too

Anyway, "Tucker" is now back in daily service and serving me well.

Soon I'll be turning up the fuel and boost, so I can make use of the locking diff!!

Thanks for reading, hope you like it.

Steve
Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 AM

Good to see you've got the thread up mate!!

Looks really good on the Pegs, and a great classy upper class car powered by an old rattly tank engine! Love it!