D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2016, 01:28 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 84 760 Turbo 85 740 Turbo
Default Head gasket replacement

I have a 85 740 GLE that runs great but looks like a little leakage coming from the head right below number 2 glow plug. 168K miles and looks like the original head gasket (two little notches). From my reading on here I gather I won't be able to order one until I find out the piston height? Is there a gasket set available for the entire project? If I get the flywheel set on the mark and number one at top dead center, mark the belts and pulleys will I be able to unbolt/bolt everything(fuel pump) back on and get it to run? I have not been able to find anyone that will work on this beast and I don't want it dead in the garage for a long period of time. Thanks for your advise.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 740 Wagon

How about the hose clamps and hoses coming out of the cylinder head in that area? Are the clamps tight, hoses in good shape? K-jet.org has a good listing of the special tools required for what you are considering, its not advisable to attempt serious engine work without them. Baum tools and Samstag Sales are sources I have used.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Supporting Member

I have a little yellow staining running out between the second and third glow plug right where the hump is. Coolant is a little stained and I don't have to add any after a hundred miles. I'll start getting the tools put together and keep reading.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2016, 04:06 PM

About finding a shop to do the work... have you checked the VW community? As you may know, the D24 was a Volkswagen product, and is identical to the 4-cyl VW diesel used in Rabbits, etc.

So a shop set up to work on VW diesel's may be more disposed to work on yours than a Volvo shop.

Worth checking, if you would rather have a shop do it.

I was lucky and found an older Volvo indie shop that was willing to take on an injector reseal project on my '82 245 Diesel wagon...

Just a thought....

-Tom in SoCal.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:38 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by genegr View Post
If I get the flywheel set on the mark and number one at top dead center, mark the belts and pulleys will I be able to unbolt/bolt everything(fuel pump) back on and get it to run? \
Your odds wold be very bad, but if you have great deal of skill and experience that would help some.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:24 AM
Supporting Member

The vacuum pump seems to be in the way of most work, injector and fuel pump work. Is there any tricks to removing and reinstalling it? Not very many post on here related to it.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2016, 06:06 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 740 Wagon

Its held onto the head by two fasteners and is under spring tension, loosening the top and bottom fasteners at equal rates will keep the vacuum pump from getting jammed or damaged, the lower fastener is difficult to see, also the plunger is a slide fit and can fall out. You can have it off in a few minutes.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genegr View Post
The vacuum pump seems to be in the way of most work, injector and fuel pump work. Is there any tricks to removing and reinstalling it? Not very many post on here related to it.
So sorry the search function here did not turn this up for you:
http://d24t.com/showpost.php?p=8492&postcount=13
Old 04-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks everyone for your help. Getting the tools together and I will check the settings and try a couple of valve adjustments first to get the hang of it.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Supporting Member

I thought I read on here somewhere to replace the head bolts with studs. Was that correct and are these available from the dealer (Volvo or VW)or aftermarket?