D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2010, 10:15 AM

It is imortant that you are cleaning the tank and pump and use a pump to pumpe diesel in the system before you start or you break your seal back on the pump like i did. I had a 84 diesel that have been sitting for ten years and i fired it right up.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
These engines sound way better than than a power stroke, and I'm even a Ford owner! As I'm sure you've heard in the videos they sound more like a Cummins. Nothing like the sound of a straight six turbo diesel!

Make sure to post up pics in the Garage section of your progress and what your starting with!

Jason
Scania 141 v8 14,2liter and 400hp with straight pipe sounds better. That is also a sweedish product
Old 02-15-2010, 01:17 PM

You've come to the right place! Welcome.

Stick with the D24, the 4 cylinder variant has a different bellhousing pattern. From what I hear, Audi's 5 cylinder is the same pattern, but probably more rare then the D24 in the US. As you've heard, most of the D24/t's bad rap isn't true.

I wouldn't worry about your D24 sitting for a few years, most of the D24/t's I've owned I've brought back from sitting for extended periods.

-Check the front timing belt to see it's in good shape. If that thing breaks your camshaft is a gonner. If the rear belt goes, your car will stop running obviously, but nothing catastrophic will happen.
-Change oil (Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 is what's recommended)
-Change fuel filter (fill new filter with diesel/ATF)
-Make sure diesel in tank is clean, and not growing anything.
-Purge air out of/prime fuel lines. (you can do this easily with a temporary electric pump, or by pressurizing the tank with an air compressor ect.)

After this you should be ready to safely start. (Am I missing anything guys?)

When first cranking the engine over, holding the accelerator to the floor should speed up starting. Just be ready to let off when it finally catches!!!

If you can't get it started, the first thing I would look into is glow plugs. Make sure the rail is getting power when the glow plug light is on, and if it is get a new set if plugs, or test your old ones depending on your budget. Just buying a new set and replacing them with the filters and such is not a bad idea.

And good luck!

If you have any questions or need some help sometime, don't hesitate to ask. We're only about 2 hours away from each other. Very cool to have another Volvo Diesel'er so close.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:58 PM

i have seen a 1985 volvo 760 gle with a bmw straight inline 6 cyl engine bellieve me it was an incredible engine in the 760. i don't know wich bmw model but it's a TDS inline 6 cyl bmw and this car came originally with a d24tic engine !!!!!!!!

and some volvo experts told me that an ISUZU 2.5 4cyl can fit in a volvo 760gle and i know that this engine have a lot of power !!! !!!!!!!!!!!