D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2010, 06:10 PM

Default brand new 82 240 gl

Hello everyone,

I'm near Washington DC, I just bought a 82 with 377500 miles on it. The previous owner put a ton of work into it, complete engine rebuild just over 100K ago, new clutch and transmissions bearings with it, a couple years ago he got new shocks, installed anti sway bars, and overall has just kept it in really great shape(everything works). I will get pics up asap.

The only issue is that the rack and pinion steering main cylinder is leaking. The shop quoted me at $912 to get it replaced. I am going to need help doing that on my own. I suppose I could afford to have them realign it afterward.

Keep on volvin,

Andrew
Old 03-02-2010, 06:12 PM

if anyone could tell me the absolute best place to buy that part and exactly what i need to get it done, that would be really appreciated. My car failed safety inspection due to the leak and I only have two weeks on my temporary tags.

Thank you.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Owner/admin

Welcome, glad you found the forum. The guy you bought it from is a member, and had it advertised on here. Looks like you got a decent start. As for parts, look in the parts suppliers section and make some calls, or check online with Tasca for example. Not every supplier has every part so you may have to do some searching to find it in the first place, and then to get the best price or the brand you want.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Welcome, glad you found the forum. The guy you bought it from is a member, and had it advertised on here. Looks like you got a decent start. As for parts, look in the parts suppliers section and make some calls, or check online with Tasca for example. Not every supplier has every part so you may have to do some searching to find it in the first place, and then to get the best price or the brand you want.

Jason

wow thanks for the quick reply. i kinda posted this question in the urgent forum, because i need to get on this quick. i don't mean to have redundancy though, so, well, i would delete the post if i could. if i knew exactly what part/parts/equipment i needed to get this done though, i imagine that would be pretty helpful.

thanks again jason.

I guess i will just call around tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:03 PM

oh man, just finding out i spent over a grand more then he was asking for it here, and i feel sick.

i'm such an idiot.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Owner/admin

You still got a good deal... Really what he was asking was kinda low in everyone's opinion. I think he listed it higher on craigslist expecting to get beat down on the price!

Jason

Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noitulover View Post
oh man, just finding out i spent over a grand more then he was asking for it here, and i feel sick.

i'm such an idiot.
$1800 is a great deal. I paid $2200 for my '84 with an engine in questionable condition.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Owner/admin

I paid 1500 for my pile with 165k never rebuilt engine, needing tires, brakes, misc interior trim, non working a/c and just work in general.

Jason

Old 03-02-2010, 08:04 PM

oh, well thanks guys. really, i appreciate it. i couldn't sleep(wouldn't you lose sleep if you suddenly realized you coulda saved a grand?). i guess he was asking that low here because he was willing to give it away to someone who was going to take good care of it and not hassle him over trying to git him to help repair some simple rack and pinion steering.

seriously though, i have no idea where to start with that... funny, if i didn't have that problem i would of probably not come on here looking for advice right away and found out he was practically giving it away here....
Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I paid 1500 for my pile with 165k never rebuilt engine, needing tires, brakes, misc interior trim, non working a/c and just work in general.

Jason
oh it failed for a bald tire too. he told me they were all good but the outside edge of the front left it totally bald. i didn't notice. now i guess i need 2 new front ones.