D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket

Old 07-21-2010, 01:44 PM

Default Temperature D24TIC

Because the D24TIC has a bad reputation in cooling i was wondering what temperatures my D24TIC is running at.

I made a digital temp.gauge out of a kit (from a online-electronics-store).
With a modification i can measure 5 different temperatures at different places in the engine.

At this moment (juli) the temperatures in Holland are high, 30 celcius.
I took a drive starting with the engine "cold" so reading about 30 celcius.
With my son next to me we measured 3 temperatures every minute right from the start.The results are given in the graph below;

Keep in mind that i drove the car normal, not exceeding 100KM/hour at the highway.We drove about 7-8 minutes to reach the highway.The roads in Holland are pritty flat so there's no extra power needed to take any hil.

The colours of the graph-lines are explained as follows;

orange; coolwater in the cilinder-head,running toward the radiator
bleu ; engine-oil , directly measured in the oilpan/sump
purple; coolwater coming out of the radiator towards the engine
green ; no temperature, this is aprox. the distance in KM starting from home

The other temperatures i can read are;
- inlet-air-temperature between turbo and intercooler
- inlet-air-temperature from intercooler to inlet-manifold

To give a impression of the gauge i made a short movie of my home-build-navigation-pop-up-mechanism with at the and a look at the knob for selecting the measure-device and the display reading the temps. in celcius.

If you're interested in the navigation-project, here some extra pictures;

KLIK HIER VOOR HET FILMPJE (means, click here for the movie...)

Back to the temperature-story; i think the temp. difference between water in and out is pretty close to tow a heavy load uphill at a warm summerday......
So the first lesson i took was connecting 2 extra cooling-fans (wich i already installed last year right behind the intercooler in front of the radiator.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Owner/admin

Wow and wow! Sweet temp setup, and your tomtom thing is pretty cool. I really like how you can switch to check different temps. The 98 degree water temp in the head sounds normal. I check the water temp at the outlet of the head with a hand held thermometer when we were trying to diagnose if the car was running hot or if it was the gauge. water was right at 200 degrees f which is close to 98 C as I know water boils at 212 F and 100 C Doesn't look like its running hot to me.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:53 AM

Thanks Jason,

Your measuring of 200F means 88c at this side of the ocean, thats the temp at wich the thermostat is supposed to be all open.Did you take that measurement while your engine was idling?I can see on my display that the temperature is going down when i go from 120KM/hour to let's say 50 KM/h.
That maybe explains the difference in our readings.

Yesterday i went for a trip with the Volvo and measured return-water at 72 celcius.The water coming out of the head was 99.7 celcius, but no worry, cooks at about 110 celcius by the pressurised coolingsystem.

I'm planning to make a new graph in wintertime so we can get a idea how much time it takes to get the engine running at a nomal temp. The best conditions for an engine to give max. power/rpm's are when the oil is at normal temp. as you can see, the original temp. in the volvo-dash is reading "normal" (middle) while the oil-temp. still is rising to reach it's normal point.In wintertime it will take much longer i assume.

I made this graph (and the coming one) also to have a backup for myself and all of you to have any idea what's normal when troubleshooting on temp. problems.

I found the pictures a made of the fan's and the thermoswitch just before soldering to the radiatorhousing.(soldering-socket made out of an plumbingpart of pressure-air-system of a truck)

The green one is the plumbingpart before modding, the brass one after.The thread is metric 22mm both plumbingpart and thermoswitch

The switch is from KW (manufacter) and has the number 08.8550
The temperatures are as following;
fan 1 on at 90 c out at 80 c c= celcius
fan 2 on at 97 c out at 87 c

You find the switch at the following cars;
seat, skoda, vw
Old 08-11-2010, 10:51 AM

Wow, this is a very cool setup you've got here. I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing your findings.

I was wondering if I could have your help/opinion and the help/opinion of the board regarding a temperature related question.

I have a electric fan installed in my D24T+ic, using a two stage inline thermostatic switch. The switch is mounted in the coolant line coming from the head and going to the radiator.

Like so:

The problem is, my fan comes on too late because the thermostatic switch I have is too hot. The first stage clicks on at 92c, and the second at 105c, which when your sitting in traffic (and you need it most) is way up almost in the red on the temp gauge. This was not a problem when it was first installed, because it was winter and the fan hardly ever came on anyway, but now in the summer I have wired up a finger operated switch in the cabin and have just been watching the temps and controlling the fan myself.

This solution is undesirable, for several obvious reasons.

I would like to replace the inline switch with one that fits my temperature needs. Now comes to the question you've been waiting for:

What temp switch should I get?

Other switches I have been able to find first come on at 75c and 85c. I would like it to come on a little early because it sits far from the head itself, and it should preempt the temps. But I also don't want it running all the time.

Witch inline switch would you guys recommend getting to control an electric fan?

75c (on low) - 70c (off low), 82c(on high) - 77c(off high)

85c(on low) - 74(off low), 93c(on high) - 82c(off high)

Or is there another temp switch I should try and hunt down?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:38 PM

Hello Eli,

Thanks for the compliments!
It's good that you ask for the thermoswitch, i realise that the data of my switch is missing in the story.
If you look again to the thread i will edit it and add the data of my switch.

Now your story; regarding to my switch i think your switch is not chosen so bad.
yours is doing; in at 92 / 105 while mine is doing 90 / 97
I have to mention that the second fan is nearly not in use, it's more a safety-circuit.

So i think it's good to be sure that your readings on the gauge are well, to write more precisely, that's the gauge is giving the right reading!
I have the original volvo740 gauge plus the digital gauge, so i can compare them.
While climbing with full power at 2000 rpm i noticed that the temp. was increasing and it's easy to let the temp go to 110 c measured at the head-water.
I think 110 c is the max. so in that circumstances i switch gear and let the engine run at 2500 rpm. you can immediatly see at the digital gauge that the water becomes cooler to 100 c.

Other things to think about is the condition of your radiator and the size, if something is wrong or not optimal there,the temp is rising to much so the fans are not capable to put the temp down enough.

Thanks for your pictures anyway, it's giving good info to start with troubleshooting.I think the place of your switch is chosen well, the switch will derectly "see" the water coming out of the head.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:41 AM

I guess your right, the first thing I should do is make sure my temperature gauges is reading accurately. If you are having good results with your thermo switch, perhaps mine is broken.

Thanks for the advice! I'll let you know how it goes.

-Eli
Old 12-16-2010, 12:49 PM

240diesel- this is very cool! Some great data on D24 engine temps!

Did you ever take any measurements towing a trailer uphill in hot weather?

I like to follow a somewhat arbitrary criteria I found in an old Diesel Technician textbook defining a "sufficient" cooling system as keeping the engine under 100C under all conditions in which it is used- including towing uphill in high temps. I think this makes sense because it would (theoretically) allow you to run with plain water at 0psi in an emergency.

Unfortunately, this is a nearly impossible criteria for the stock D24T cooling system without any upgrades towing trailers in hot mountainous areas.

I use an engine watchdog TM-2 to monitor engine temps. It doesn't log and has just one sensor, but it can be moved anyplace and has a nice audible alarm:

http://www.enginewatchdog.com/tm2.html

I also wire the audible alarm into the low oil pressure light, and a float switch in the coolant reservoir.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default I can`t find his video

I found this write-up about engine temperatures very useful&interesting. I tried to see his video about the setups he made BUT the link is not active. Does anyone have his video, maybe? Thanks

[QUOTE=240diesel;3187]Because the D24TIC has a bad reputation in cooling i was wondering what temperatures my D24TIC is running at.

I made a digital temp.gauge out of a kit (from a online-electronics-store).
With a modification i can measure 5 different temperatures at different places in the engine.
The colours of the graph-lines are explained as follows;

orange; coolwater in the cilinder-head,running toward the radiator
bleu ; engine-oil , directly measured in the oilpan/sump
purple; coolwater coming out of the radiator towards the engine
green ; no temperature, this is aprox. the distance in KM starting from home

The other temperatures i can read are;
- inlet-air-temperature between turbo and intercooler
- inlet-air-temperature from intercooler to inlet-manifold

To give a impression of the gauge i made a short movie of my home-build-navigation-pop-up-mechanism with at the and a look at the knob for selecting the measure-device and the display reading the temps. in celcius.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:50 AM

Default which hose

hi guys just looked at this thread good job, would like to say to Eli should the sensor be in the bottom hose - im sure we had an old thread where we decided that was the one, is he measuring the cooled water so his fans not going to come on in time?