D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket

Old 10-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I too have been researching the injector thing. IDI injectors aren't sized differently, it all depends on how much fuel is pushed though it since they pop open. Its not like a TDI injector with a certain size orfice that is enlarged for more power. I have come to find out the different numbered nozzles eg 253 293 only refer to different updates and changes that were made as they revised the design of the injector tips. Whether is was for cleaner combustion, less noise, etc... As the years went on the numbers increased as bosch release new and better tips.

As for the intercooler, I've got that covered with the water/alcohol injection. It is just as effective if not more so since I can tune the injection amount.

Whats really going to step up the performance will be the ARP head studs. This car with 25lbs boost and fuel to match is going to be really mean.

I'm working on the manual. At least I finnaly got a D24T bellhousing and flywheel. I'm wanting to do a T5 swap but my buddy that just bought his 760 may want to sell and its a m46. We may swap and sell his car as an auto. That would be straightforward and when I blow it up I can go to a T5 then.

Whats wrong with the oil cooler? I know its not that big but for how I drive it, I would think its alright. If I was rallycrossing it and under load for a long time I could see doing a larger one, but most of my running is messing with guys on the street or just getting into it for a quick hard run. Hell it holds 8 qts of oil!

Jason
Jason, interesting stuff about the injectors. If what you say is true, then what is the difference between the normal TD and the "GTD" injector nozzles? I think there must be some possibility of flowing more fuel with the GTD units, since they (along with an intercooler) are the major differences between TD and GTD engines, the latter of which do make significantly more power. I buy what you are saying about many of the number series referring to refinements in nozzle design rather than to fuel flow capability, but I think there is a possibility a larger nozzle could nonetheless exist.

Did you get the M46 D24T bellhousing/flywheel from the guy in Pennsylvania? You may discover that you end up deciding to just stick with the M46 and forget the T5. I have owned both, and the M46 is much nicer to use -- excellent gearing, very smooth-shifting and quiet, and the electronic overdrive is a nice feature. If you run short rearend gearing and use the stronger P-Type OD unit, I doubt it will really ever give you too much in the way of trouble. Remember that the M46 is used behind turbo gas motors that came stock with as much as 200 hp and 190 lb-ft, and they stand up to modified motors making up to about 250 lb-ft. I'll be surprised if you are able to break one with a D24T no matter how much you modify it.

I just hate the oil cooler design, with the hose running up over the valve cover that is hard to bleed and always gets soaked with oil and gets in the way when you are adjusting the valves, and the oil soaked short hose at the back of the head, and the increased stress on the cooling system and the possibility of coolant and oil mixing. Much better to switch to a real external cooler that will keep temps lower and not be as much of a threat to the engine.

You ought to install the MLS headgasket when you do the head studs. Then it will really be unbreakable.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:13 AM

v8volvo, i must disagree. With highly tuned d24t m46 is going to
be rubber, especially 3rd gear. OD isnt a problem.
For Jason, if you want more power, DO that IC assemly,
water/alcohol injection is not so good than intercooler.
You are going to break that engine for nothing if you will use bigger turbo,
high pressures and alot fuel. Just my tips.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:24 AM

I mean, you have the heat problem still there, even youve raised power
by freeing additional oxygen when injected water/alchol mix
vaporizes on cylinder. But after all, im going to test before any mods your
inject system, then doing something with it.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Owner/admin

The GTD nozzle is the 253 number. I read some posts by Giles (i'm sure you have heard of him, the hot rod pump expert in Canada) and he recomended those over the other numbers. The extra power is probably from the better design. More effecient combustion will of course lead to more power, along with the intercooler. I would suspect the injection pump on the GTD engine has a different stock calibration that pushes more fuel compaired to the calabration of the regular TD pump. Another "injector expert" also confirmed this on the vwdiesel.net forum. I read through the listing of Bosch injector numbers and pretty much the DNOSD numbers just went up as the years went by, which further leads me to believe that they were just changing and improving the design. The Benz injectors may have a larger flow capacity, but the spray angle is wrong.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 AM

How did your quarter mile went? I really want to hear. I have soon my intercooler fit done, then running on bench.
I believe and hope its done in 2 or 3 weeks. I know, pretty long but ive been waiting now my really last parts
and they havent come yet. 2,5" thick piping all the way before intake manifold, which is 3". Just the usage of 90 degree angles will restrict air flow,
but its, hell, 1" thicker pipe, that will cover it and more,
also cooler air to engine. Then ill modify my original air-filter box, to take needed air way straigher way.
Are you going to bench your car? Would be really interesting to see
our results with some agreed turbo pressure, like 1bar/14,5psi.
So we could compare intercooler+2,5" piping vs. 2"piping and charge pipe+
water/alcohol injection. I think that would be interesting,
for both of us.