D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 01-25-2016, 06:01 PM

Default Pull and service injectors based on age, or only for cause?

The injectors in my non-turbo '82 245 have never been out of the engine since they were installed 107k miles and 34 years ago.

Car runs fairly well; no obvious issues. They seem a bit noisier than other diesel's I've listened too (mostly Mercedes) but I am not an expert by any means.

The car smokes some, especially on acceleration. It is a little cold-blooded but I doubt that is an injector issue. Pump was overhauled last Fall so it should be in good shape and properly timed to the engine.

I can't help thinking they would benefit from being pulled and overhauled, or at least having the pop pressure checked and look at the spray-pattern/nozzle condition.

What do you more experienced folks think... a waste of money (I'd be paying a shop to R&R and send out for overhaul) or would it have some benefit?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

-Tom in SoCal
Old 01-25-2016, 07:24 PM
Supporting Member

If the injectors are worn/leaky they can cause more difficult starting/ rough running and smoke.
That being said the nozzles are probably better then what you can get from Bosch now.., I haven't been too thrilled with the made in India nozzles that Bosch now manufactures.

I have been trying different vendors/manufactures of injector nozzles. I have found a new outfit that sells performance nozzles Aka "GTD" nozzles. I have yet to run them or spray pattern test them but they seem to be of high quality more of the likes of the made in France Bosch stuff.

Can you post a video of cold start and running at operating temp?
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745
Old 01-28-2016, 06:15 AM

Thanks Anders.

I'm going to leave them in for the time being....

I was mostly curious what the collective wisdom was about overhauling based just on time or mileage, rather than wait for a problem.

-Tom in So Cal