D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Body and Interior

Old 02-14-2014, 12:15 AM

Vehicle: Wannabe D24TIC
Default Facelift to Pre-facelift

Hello!
I'm new at this forum, and also new with Volvo, 1 month ago got '90 740 wagon So I will be asking many questions, because before Volvo I was driving with 10 years older car
First of all, I want to know, is it easy to put prefacelift front to a facelift model. I have this front on my car,

but I want this front

Do I have to change headlights, grill, bamper and turn lights only? Or the bonnet and fenders need to be changed also?
Old 02-14-2014, 04:12 AM

the front wings (fenders?) will need changing over too for certain, and i'm 99% that the bonnet is different but it should all bolt on i think. that red aussie 740 is lovely, and yours looks pretty nice too, although like you i'm not as much of a fan of the facelift personally.

welcome to the forum

Richard
Old 02-14-2014, 05:11 AM

Thanks for answer, but that is not mine, I don't have any good photo. Once I will be done with engine swap ( 2.4D to 2.4TDIC (w/o IC, for a time)), I will post some photos
Old 02-14-2014, 06:43 AM

Aah, fair enough, hopefully we'll get to see some photos of yours up soon did you get a d24 with no turbo as late as '90 then, I thought they were not offered that late! Good luck with the swap, sure it will all go well.

Do you mind me asking why don't you put the inter cooler straight in, any 7/940 inter cooler should fit straight in, and you'll have to make some custom boost pipe work to connect the turbo to the intercooler intake manifold anyway if you don't put one in?

Rich
Old 02-14-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw View Post
Aah, fair enough, hopefully we'll get to see some photos of yours up soon did you get a d24 with no turbo as late as '90 then, I thought they were not offered that late! Good luck with the swap, sure it will all go well.

Do you mind me asking why don't you put the inter cooler straight in, any 7/940 inter cooler should fit straight in, and you'll have to make some custom boost pipe work to connect the turbo to the intercooler intake manifold anyway if you don't put one in?

Rich
Turbo engine is from 940, i got it without intercooler But later i will get one
For now, mechanic welded some custom pipes
Engine is in place, everything is running, but we have some problems with clutch, after few days the problem should be solved

edit: after reading forum, noticed, that 740 is sedan, 745 is wagon. Am i right?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Supporting Member

Starting with the 140 series in 1968, Volvo used a three-number system for its cars. The first number was the series; the second number indicated the number of cylinders and the third digit the number of doors; so a Volvo 164 had a six-cylinder engine and four doors. There were exceptions: the 760 often was equipped with a turbocharged inline-four engine and the Volvo 360 only had four cylinders.

Today, the company uses a system of letters denoting body style followed by the series number. Although not official, it is fairly accepted that S stands for sedan, C stands for coupe or convertible and V stands for versatile, used strictly for the station wagon line. XC stands for cross country, originally added to the V70 model to become the XC70, sister to the XC90.

From Does Your Car's Name Mean Something? How to Decode Import Car Model Names
Old 02-14-2014, 09:32 AM

Theoretically following the nomenclature from earlier models 7 is the series, 4 is the number of cylinders and 5 the number of doors so a saloon would be a 744 (though of course both 740 and 760 could be had with the 6 cylinder diesel and they were never badged as anything other than 740 regardless of number of doors :P the system was used fairly strictly in the 100 and early 200 series but by 700 and the later 200s they'd stopped using it so strictly. Presumably it made the range a bit easier to understand.

Richard