D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage

Old 05-15-2017, 12:17 PM

Vehicle: D24 in a 924
Default Diesel swap D24(T) into a 924

It isn't obvious to me where this kind of thread goes, but I'll start here and someone can yell at me if it belongs somewhere else.

I have a 1984 Porsche 924 that is getting a D24 to race in the 24 Hours of LeMons.

The basics are that the engine will fit in the car with no cutting and will bolt to the bellhousing.

My plan is to find a flywheel from some other VW/Audi engine that will bolt on and accept the Porsche pressure plate...

I have 2 heads, one with turbo and one N/A; 3 injection pumps (one for the turbo, two N/A), an alternator, a starter, and a bunch of other stuff I don't need (like an automatic trans).

I have owned a VW diesel before, but that was last century. I'm sure I'll be asking all kinds of newbie questions...

Last edited by Dirty Duc; 05-19-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:31 PM
Supporting Member

So the d24 bolts to the bellhousing of the 924?
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745
Old 05-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Welcome, sounds like a fun project. Looking forward to following the pictures.

I'm moving this into the Garage section in the Showroom area, which is where most folks put their build threads. If you disagree or want it somewhere else, let me know.

Maybe we'll have to find you some D24T.com graphics to put on the car.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the move and the welcome!

The 924 and 944 used the same transmission bolt pattern as the 5cyl VW/Audi engines... they used a torque tube and put the Audi transaxle at the back of the car.

It's a pretty neat setup.

Porsche laid the motor over further by about 15 degrees. I haven't decided how I am dealing with that yet.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:01 PM

I've got the engine partially assembled on the engine stand... no belts on yet. Am I understanding correctly that there is no key in either cam sprocket?

I found an "assembly guide" that talked about loosening off both sprockets and setting the cam with a feeler gauge.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:58 PM

Okay, looks like I have assembly instructions sorted.

It looks like this block has seen a heavy handed wrench... the alternator mount bolt holes on the block are broken, and the rear bolt on the mount is also broken. I'll be making a mount for that on the left side of the engine.

Next question: Can somebody tell me the approximate angle of the lean as installed in a 240 series?

Assuming it is closer to 40 degrees than 25 degrees, anybody want to swap oil pans and pickups?

I'm also looking for the turbo oil filter mount... because racecars have turbos!
Old 05-23-2017, 01:36 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

The holes are broken or stripped? It sounds like the engine you got may have been from a car that was in an accident. The alternator mount also holds the fan bearing and in a front end hit could be in the line of impact. Hard for me to imagine someone breaking the bosses on the block just by working on it if that is the issue.

Regardless you will need to come up with a good repair for this, because the alternator bracket is what the crank counterhold tool rests against for tightening the center bolt on the crankshaft. Otherwise you'll need to find another way to hold the crank while you tighten the bolt to 350lbs plus. Failure to achieve the full required torque is guaranteed catastrophic destruction of the engine. There are various ways to do it but make sure you get it all the way tight.

I recommend getting a copy of the Volvo green book for the engine if you will be doing work on it. Correct, both cam pulleys have no key, similar to the 4cyl VW diesels and early TDIs. You need a sprocket counterhold tool to make sure the pulleys don't move as you torque them to the required spec. Volvo's 9995199 tool works well and is easy and cheap to find since it's still in common use on their gas engines too. In general you'll find this engine is a piece of cake to work on IF you have the required tools and complete information. Without them, sometimes the results are not good. Greenbooks are available from various sources online and the tools can be borrowed for free.

What pan and pickup do you have now? The 7 series is almost vertical, 2 series might be 20 or 25 degrees but definitely not 40. None of the stock Volvo pans or pickups will do the job without changes if that is what you need.

The installation in a Pinzgauer or Euro LT van is laid over further though. Maybe you'll want to start with a pan and pickup from one of them. Those pans have deep sumps but are steel instead of the aluminum used for the Volvos, so could be easier to modify.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:02 PM

The bolt holes are broken approximately in half.

I've got a leftover special tool from my rotary days for fixing the flywheel in place that I was planning on using.

I had a catastrophic failure on my long ago diesel Rabbit, but that was a timing belt failure. The camshaft broke into 9 pieces as I shifted on the governor in LA traffic.

I measured this at approximately 25 degrees, so it must be from a 2 series.

Finding the Euro LT oil pan (or one from what sounds like a fantastic truck!) sounds cost prohibitive over just re-clocking the torque tube-bellhousing mount. That's a simple cut and weld on steel.

Not too bad a price on the camshaft tool, but I might just make one for the practice welding/machining.

I downloaded what I think might be called a green book? it was a black and white scan, but it has all the procedures for assembling/timing/etc. that I can think of needing.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:38 PM

Engine is mounted.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LVNysbgo3qIvYp423

Last edited by Dirty Duc; 09-12-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:29 PM

It's in the car for real, now I just have to adjust the clutch arm, install the radiator and hoses, wire up the alternator, put oil and water in it, and go racing. Good thing, since the race is less than a week away!