D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage

Old 02-20-2015, 12:29 AM

Vehicle: Volvo 965

Long time no update...but here it is now.

Real "work" took ~15 days of wrenching around to get everything done, but they were scattered around to what would seem as average of 2 minutes per day since last June...

However, it's in the car, it starts, and since the video I've sorted in-tank pump issues and do not need the can any more.
Still left to do is:
- Finish tranny mounts,
- Make adapter hose for clutch slave,
- Lenghten driveshaft for ~2 inches
- Lenghten shifter linkage

And it should be ready to drive.

First start video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=9_50_5u9JQo
Old 03-30-2015, 04:17 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Looks like it's turning out well -- you must have the only one like it anywhere. Sorry to see the diesel go, but at least something interesting has gone in its place!

Will be fun to see the finished product; thanks for continuing the updates.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:52 PM

Since the last update I got the car buttoned up and driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uty2Z9KsiA

I drove it for maybe six months all together, mostly it sat in a garage as a trophy of sorts. Nice car, but I had/have faster redblock turbo cars and always something to wrench on, so M50B25 never got the turbo it should have gotten.

One day I took the engine out to fix some surface rust in the engine bay, do some front suspension maintenance, etc...

Since, I've put that engine in a BMW E28 and sold it to a friend. It's now at another shop getting some paintwork touch-ups, but this is a couple days before it left me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfGSTkOC3vM

Since the video, I've built an exhaust, got all the gauges working, finished intake piping and wiring, put E32 seats in, etc...

Anyway, my wagon was left without an engine once more.
Recently, my priorities have changed, so instead of wanting a low street/track car with 6-8 cylinder turbo, I now want it to be slightly lifted (more on that later), and to haul stuff and flatbed car trailers, so fuel economy and torque are priority.

I thought about going back to my old D24TIC that I still have but meh, I don't like going back, then BMW M51D25 (TDS) engine since I've done enough BMW engine swaps to make it a one weekend job, but unlike some of my off-roading friends, I don't think too highly of that engine and I want to go as old school as possible - starter and alternator wires must be only engine related wires.

So I went to town and bought this little thing:

IMHO, a jewel of IDI engines, the Mercedes OM606.962, aka the motor out of '99 W210 E-class E300 Turbodiesel.

3.0, 24v, turbo, IDI, 177hp/330Nm stock.

Originally, it's running an EDC (electronic controlled) inline pump, immobilizer and all the things I don't care for and that are going away.

This is as it sits now:

Intake is off, gasket is ordered, EGR pipe off the exhaust is gone, I'll machine a plug tomorrow if I catch some time, also will be doing away with EGR vacuum solenoid that's blocking intake, will make a clean SSteel hose adapter instead.

Since I'm not looking to superturbodiesel it just yet, W124 OM603 N/A pump in which I'll move 6mm elements from the EDC pump will suffice and probably be good for something over 200hp, and I'll slap on a fresh AirResearch T3 from a D24TIC, which is huge compared to D24T turbos, and probably a bit bigger than stock on Merc.

One of these days I have to make adapters for whiteblock auxilliaries - PS pump, alt and a/c compressor. I have no idea why am I doing that instead of just using Mercedes counterparts. No idea at all.

I'll get a SM flywheel (these were all automatics - another thing I don't want.), new clutch and a W124 250D gearbox, which should hold up just fine for moderate power levels. Then it's all about getting engine mounts, final wiring and starting it.

From what I've gathered in my head without looking at any actual wiring diagrams, D24Txx relay should be able to handle Mercedes glow-plugs, but as of yet, I'm inclined to go with a simple push-button and solenoid, since it's even less parts to fail. That idea may change.

Seems like a couple of days work, but considering how much time I have for goofing around with my cars, I guess it'll be a couple of months at least until it starts.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Kraftwerk; 10-17-2016 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Fix'd
Old 02-26-2017, 03:17 AM

Thought about updating this.

This is how she sits as of a month ago.. One of these days, I have to do the wiring, plumbing, sort the turbo out and it should be able to idle on its own. Then it's down to sorting Mercedes gearshift linkage (very unlike "normal RWD transmissions, but I like it.) and lenghtening the driveshaft. Not much work, but is going to take a long time, as it seems.