D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 01-21-2019, 12:50 AM

Vehicle: Pinzgauer 718
Default From 103hp to 130hp

Hello dear friends,
I am planing now to upgrade my d24t from 103hp to about 130-140hp.
Originally my engine do not has intercooler. My plan is to add watercooled intercooler and VNT turbo with manual control.
The question now:
Do I need to grind the fuel pin to get more fuel?
Do I need to change diesel pump timing?
Thanks!
Old 02-03-2019, 02:03 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Others here will be able to give more comments on modifying the fuel pump, Anders offers upgraded pump heads and other options and could probably suggest the best setup for what you are planning.

I think for 140hp the stock pump and aneroid pin will get you most of the way there. May be good to set the timing to the high end of stock spec (around .95mm or a little more at high altitude) if you are looking for best performance and plan to up the fuel, but too much timing advance is hard on the engine and headgasket so you don't want to push the limits if you need it to stay reliable.

With the stock pump components you can make adjustments to aneroid preload, pin rotation etc to alter the enrichment curve up to a certain point and make some gains there.

In a heavy vehicle like a Pinzgauer you really want to aim for adding power you can use reliably, rather than setting a specific peak output goal. You will be tempted to use everything the engine can give you when you climb hills so make sure you match the maximum output to a level that can be produced continuously, and make cooling system improvements if needed to support it. Add an EGT gauge and oil temp gauge to make sure you stay in the safe zone in those areas. Keep in mind that making more peak hp will have no benefit in that vehicle if you can only use the additional power for a few seconds before you have to back out of the pedal on long hills to keep temperatures under control.

That said 130-140 reliable hp is probably an attainable goal if you are careful with what you do and match cooling capacity to the power. The intercooler and a suitable size VNT turbo will be a great start. The stock D24TIC engine is around 120hp so that's already close to what you have in mind. We will be very interested to see the VNT installation, several of us here have wanted to do that but as far as I know there haven't been any completed yet.

Do you have the automatic or manual transmission? 4x4 or 6x6?
Old 02-08-2019, 02:37 AM

Vehicle: Pinzgauer 718

Thanks for replay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Anders offers upgraded pump heads and other options and could probably suggest the best setup for what you are planning.
You mean this Anders ? http://d24t.com/member.php?u=193

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Do you have the automatic or manual transmission? 4x4 or 6x6?
It is 6x6 with Automatic transmision.

My plan is:
1. Defi-Link ADVANCE Control Unit to monitor EGT, boost and temperature.
2. VNT turbo charger from Alfa Romeo 156/166 2.4 JTD 136Hp. VNT25 OE 454150. Tuned for 0,9 maximal boost.
3. Watercooled intercooler.
4. Tuning Boost Pin or Fuel Boost Pin.
5. Timing 0.95mm-1.05mm.

But it may be a good idea to upgrade the pump head and keep standard timing, to prevent overheating. Actually there are not to much what I can do to improve engine cooling..
Old 02-14-2019, 04:06 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Yes, that is the right Anders.

That parts plan sounds like it should work out well, you will have to let us know how it turns out. What are you going to use for a controller for the VNT?

As for cooling, with the amount of boost and fuel you are planning for, I would think it should be able to stay cool if you are careful and all the cooling system parts are in perfect condition. But you may still want to test the cooling performance of the stock engine first, to get a baseline before you start to make changes. Do you have a good way to monitor engine temp currently? As the truck is now, can you run at max load for an extended period of time (5-10 minutes) when climbing a mountain pass in hot weather without the engine temperature rising out of control?

If you plan to use the truck in mountain terrain and the answer to the question above is "no", then IMHO the first step would still be doing whatever you have to do to improve cooling performance. Again, any power you add will not help if you cannot use it without causing damage.

But, if you plan to do most of your driving on flat ground, then this may not be as much of a concern for you.

Look forward to hearing how it goes.