D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Old 01-28-2016, 11:47 AM

Hi
Sorry its been a while been mega busy having a 10 week old son and doing 12hr shifts at work is taking its toll
I'll get a photo of the motor mount tomorrow hopefully
Our locos run v16 MTU diesel engines with 4 KKK turbos
Their derated for our application so once they coke up they get HotWired by us as their all elctronically injected so we hack in alter the fueling and take all the boost restriction off and give it full beans till the smoke clears or it fires flames out the exhaust (saves 28 hours of miserable soot scraping but don't tell my boss)
The ovlov now feels slow compared to what it was with all the fuel and boost wound up was wondering if it was worth winding the on boost fueling up a notch as low down its perfect now but feels a bit lack luster high up the range doesn't want much just a tweak to get it where it should be
Is it screw in for more fuel or screw out I can't remember
Thanks again for the help
Old 01-28-2016, 12:56 PM
Supporting Member

You screw in the max fuel screw to get more fuel.
Depending how much power you want, I would install a boost controller and set it at 18lbs or so and call it a day. The LDA will automatically give your engine more fuel with the boost.
Have an EGT gauge?
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745
Old 01-28-2016, 10:43 PM

Hi
Yeah I have a boost controller but I'm not looking to up the boost any more
I've done the max fuel screw before but it smokes heavily till boost builds
As I've set it all back to stock and have got the boost set to 12psi I was looking to add just a touch more fuel when on boost as I feel it would benefit from that rather that the whole way through the rev range
From looking at the pump I presume the doughnut shaped diphram housing is a boost compensator and has a bolt and lock nut going into the top of it
So I was wondering if adjusting the bolt on that would trick it into thinking I have more boost and add the desired amount of fuel I require
If so what way do I turn the bolt to make it think I have more boost
Thanks for everyones input
Old 01-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubcee View Post
I was looking to add just a touch more fuel when on boost
Should be able to do this by adjusting the LDA starwheel downward. Modifying the pin for steeper ramp if more is needed.

Quote:
From looking at the pump I presume the doughnut shaped diphram housing is a boost compensator
Not so much as a boost compensator as a fuel cut for pre-boost situations.

Quote:
...has a bolt and lock nut going into the top of it
So I was wondering if adjusting the bolt on that would trick it into thinking I have more boost and add the desired amount of fuel I require
If so what way do I turn the bolt to make it think I have more boost
That bolt is a smoke screw for low-power situations (idle and off-idle), not what you are after. Start with the starwheel. 1/4 turn at a time. Might not even have to take off the cover. I can get a small flatblade screwdriver in the vent hole after removing the vent nipple fitting, then turn that starwheel click by click-- it's just like adjusting the starwheel thru the access plate on drum brakes. Works if it is not all corroded inside there.

Here are some reading to get you started:

More power for your 1.6TD

BOSCH VE Mechanical Diesel Fuel Injection Pump Adjustments & Components

1st Generation Ram Diesel Power Increase
(This one is easy to follow, with good diagrams)

Fuel Pin

Remember to mark everything as you take it apart, especially that rubber diaphragm.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Supporting Member

Forgot to mention to check that the small presssure hose that goes from the rear of the intake manifold to the LDA seals well and not leaking. Pressure leak there can cause lower fuel on boost.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:07 PM

Ngoma your a genius
I searched all over for a post like that ( admittedly I'm not so good with the computer as I am with the spanners )
Right so pull the rubber boot off the breather and take the breather out too and turn the star screw down to remove pressure from the spring that holds the fueling off before boost it all makes sense now
Hopefully its not all seized and I can get the power just right so I get a good clean pull up to 5k without the massive smoke screen the max fuel screw made
Oh and I checked out the temperature and it seems my gauge reads low but all tested OK on the infrared thermometer so fairly pleased with how this is going
Thanks again I'm probably boring every one here to death but you are very helpful so don't want to let all the advice go to waste
Old 01-30-2016, 11:48 AM

What a difference
Pulls right up to 5200 without any flat spots and only gets a haze of black smoke at wide open throttle so im happy
It took ten points on the star wheel to feel right but its like a new car and the egt is actually lower now than before defiantly worth the 30 seconds to adjust
Thanks everyone for your help