D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 05-26-2017, 07:40 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 262c
Default Finally got my new to me d24t cars what now?

Well I finally got them delivered and got them both to fire and run decent it seems
Had to replace some leaky fuel lines
Diesel everywhere lol

Ordered some basic stuff
Fuel filter
Water separator
Air filter
Oil filter

I do have questions forgive my ignorance but why is there 2 filters on the relocator above the airbox
Different part numbers?
Do I need to order something else

I have no idea what the heck to do on a diesel
Old 05-27-2017, 05:36 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

That depends, what do you want to do? Go through them and get them back on the road? Basic maintenance? Other?

To get a baseline of condition, start with these:
- Get the diesel greenbooks so that you have the info you need.
- Timing belts - replace if date and mileage of last change is not known. You will need special tools to do it correctly. If you can document a relatively recent prior replacement, confirm it was done with correct procedures and equipment at that time, if not or if you're not sure, then it's on you to get the stuff and check timing settings and crankshaft dampener bolt torque, even if you choose not to replace the belt.
- Valve clearance, check/adjust as needed
- Fluids and filters all around, need to use the correct large oil filter and full synthetic diesel-rated oil, I use 0W40 year round but some folks prefer 5W30 or 5W40, all are fine. When replacing the fuel filter, ensure that the inner O-ring comes off with the old filter, sometimes they don't. Prefill the new filter with clean, new fuel or fuel treatment or ATF, lube the sealing surfaces with a clean finger, screw on. Sanitary conditions are required whenever the inlet side of the fuel system is open, the diesel injector pump and injectors have zero tolerance for contamination.
- Very careful check of the cooling system, hoses, radiator, etc. Check thermostat operation and replace if needed. Learn the air burping procedure and use it if you do anything that requires draining coolant.
- General functional check, do the motors start quickly and smoothly, with minimal smoke? Or are they choppy for the first minute or two? If so, check glow plugs and replace where needed. Look/smell for any fuel leaks under the hood, common culprits are the small return lines between the injectors, sometimes the fuel pump needs some O-rings as well. Check for any oil leaks.

If they both run that's a good sign. Looking forward to hearing how they turn out.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:27 AM
Supporting Member

I would love to see some under the hood pictures. I'm curious what method was used to get a turbo diesel 240.

What are the two filters used for? Engine oil? Fuel?
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745
Old 05-27-2017, 09:33 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impolvo View Post
I do have questions forgive my ignorance but why is there 2 filters on the relocator above the airbox
Not sure what you are referring to?
relocator above the airbox???
If you post a photo maybe we can help you figure it out. Attaching Photos thread.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:48 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Bertone diesel, turbodiesel, turbo, nonturbo, 262c, 240, 740

Congratulations,
you are the owner of TWO rare and special diesel Volvos
that were never** available from factory!

They certainly are special because they adopted the d24t to fit into the shell of the 200 series, not to mention that they are the rare Bertone 262c coupe cars.

I saw the ad and planned to get them but I could not make space for two cars in time. I drove my diesel Volvo for ten hours, met the owner and had great talk about what he did when he built them. I am Extremely Happy that he did not have to scrap them. Those cars were the ideas of a vw diesel lover skilled engineer! He got the idea first, had the shop and the tools, got the skills then he saw them being born and loved them afterwards. Parts of several 240 diesels, 740 diesels were used, plus the two Bertones themselves! Quite an achievement if you ask me.

IDK why someone mentioned m46 because that is not what they are. As far as he remembered, the manual transmissions came from the manual shifter diesel 200 series Volvo. The rear end, diff,etc came from 240 diesels, etc etc. It is not nice that they were left rotting outside but hey this is life sometimes. Nothing lasts forever, including us! The hoses are all aged, return lines and coolant hoses, etc, all plastics, etc, clamps are rusty... all parts oxidized and old leaks of oil and coolant, are petrified lol... four seasons every year, started eating away these beasts pretty quickly. Ten years ago they were already 27y old! I tried to collect information mainly on how and why he built these cars. It was a very interesting story and lots of diesel talk.
I will need to recall it all and share it here with you all.

It will be a great thread, please post as many pictures as you can.
In the bicolor Bertone car (blue and black) the builder created a double filtration setup for the engine oil. That is not factory but you will see what his idea was.

The cars have several diy areas under the hood, the way he set turbo motor into the 200 shell is somewhat precise and very well made.

I would not hesitate to keep both of them on the road, although the rusty factor is very strong. They haven`t been in the garage at all, for loong long years and I am definitely sure that they haven`t been running for at least as many years, looking at the yard and the build-up around the cars, I am estimating at least 5 or 8 years of not running. The interiors are shot too, too bad because they were okay cars back in the days when he built them. According to his owner, reliable and running great, any time. AND, well adjusted bc he surely knew what he was doing.

I'm hoping both cars will get on the road to show proof that a manual swap turbodiesel 262c is indeed possible, and COOL! His d24/d24t toolkit continues life near my td wagon that appreciates it a lot. My next trip would have been the one to pick the cars up.
I have a picture of all three tds next to each other, that was something I really liked. The trained ears and eyes of the PO of your Bertones looked satisfied when my hood opened up and I started my brick... Too much silence followed...; I saw in his eyes he felt extremely sad realizing he was losing battle at keeping his old school turbodiesel babies. It was a sad and happy moment at the same time. He is 87years old, dieseling was his job, and passion. I really liked the guy, much much respect. These cars have history, keep them if you can.

PLEASE
PLEASE, do not trust the condition of the timing belts and have them redone, the right way, as soon as you can. (Note: I have seen Champion glowplugs on the shelf, please make sure to throw them far away.) I am sure that these cars haven't been running for many many years. The city usually sends out liquidation notices for a good reason (after only many years of `polluting` the street view)...

we all wish that pollution was in our yards, right?
I will try remembering all that he shared with me. He used to have d24-d24t parts mixed&combined into the same car all the time, including using modified (redrilled)nonturbo heads and ipumps, etc. He was someone who I really wanted to have as a grandfather. Tons of experience and truckloads of specific diesel knowledge on these motors that we all like.

Enjoy these cars and please keep this Thread fresh and active!!!!

I`d love to see the future life of these survivors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0135.jpg (211.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 01010_16abvQwXJzR_600x450.jpg (43.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 00303_gW7F6JIXRFm_600x450.jpg (42.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 01515_jDSL7OEhjEe_600x450.jpg (35.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 00k0k_cpIeSXgbPwz_600x450.jpg (46.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 05-27-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:05 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default set of pictures #2

Additional pictures showing untouched cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00S0S_6FMCTRojJYK_600x450.jpg (40.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 00606_qjqUN1R8Uc_600x450.jpg (38.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 01616_5PtsjinHvfp_600x450.jpg (45.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 00V0V_ix4gcrrkl7y_600x450.jpg (31.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 00J0J_hjbL5XNDaZE_600x450.jpg (30.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-27-2017, 06:32 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 744 D24T M46

Nice pics. Very cool Volvos. I would add checking/setting injection pump timing do that list, although I'm not sure if that needs adjustment over time.

If you do need glowplugs, get the correct bosch duraterms. A little pricier than the champions, etc., but in my experience they are 100% superior. Faster starts, less smoke and cleaner idle at startup. Don't make the same mistake I did.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:57 PM
Supporting Member

Default Diesels

Well I've got the doors open on both of them lol
Vacuumed all the rotten debris out of the engine bay and scrubbed off some mold

And yes there is a double oil filter on one car The 2 tone one

The engines are from an 85 760 and an 86 760 the trannys are both m46 4speed with electric overdrive
Since I'm not so familiar with the d24set up I have no idea the ammount of custom work done but am sure it was a bit
I've chucked some prv engines before and replaced with b230
Although that is much simpler in sure

I've ordered up some parts for them to refract filters and the rigger I can get for a decent price
I might have to rent some tools
But I've fixed fuel leaks in lines
Not seen any other issues obviously visible
Next step is get them some fresh belts

I've printed out the greenbooks so I'll be reading them as I go

The 2 tone car fired first crank with much smoke that soon lessened
The black car took a good ammount of cranking but ran better once it started
It did keep dying but that was a fuel delivery issue with leaky lines to the filter

I plan on daily driving one or maybe a different Bertone every day as I'll be up to 3

Maybe glow plugs are the issue on the black car needing lots of cranking too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7007.jpg (1,002.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7006.jpg (961.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7008.jpg (650.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7010.jpg (892.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-29-2017, 03:44 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 744 D24T M46

If the black car had some fuel leaks I'd imagine that's why it was harder to start. The pump was probably sucking some air in. Glowplugs are easy enough to test for good. Just need a skinny hand for #6
Old 05-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdrives View Post
If the black car had some fuel leaks I'd imagine that's why it was harder to start. The pump was probably sucking some air in. Glowplugs are easy enough to test for good. Just need a skinny hand for #6
Yes with line replaced it fired quickly
Turbo sounds strong too
I need some boost/vac gauges too