D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 760GLE D24T
Unhappy Engine Mounts, Misc. Questions/Seeking Advice

Hey guys,

Just curious as to how many of you have done engine mounts, my driver side appears to be totally blown out on my 84 760 D24T 4sp. From eyeballing, these engines should list to the passenger side ever so slightly. My engine sits level...and shakes like crazy on shutdown etc. So I bought an engine mount through IMC, and it didn't mention if it was a left or a right. Tasca seemed to have strange inventory, they had one set and the left side was discontinued, then another set but the right was discontinued. I'm assuming they're the same, mine has two bolts sticking out of opposite sides on either end of the hockey puck shaped part. Same or different?

Also, I play with my max fuel screw way too much. I want to get better power which I typically find after about 3/4 of a full rotation in the advance direction (right). I roll some serious coal at times but I like the way it drives in this condition. However, how do you mechanically adjust the idle? I keep playing with the throttle linkage but can't seem to figure out where to adjust it. Any ideas there? I'm idling around 900-1000rpm which seems high but makes 1st gear starts pretty damn easy!

Lastly...1984. The last year of biodegradable wiring. For some reason my passenger side front indicator keeps malfunctioning. The socket is ugly and when I tamper with the contact inside it functions normally then fails. Anywhere I can get the socket apart from pick n pull?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2015, 07:02 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

The mounts are different side to side, pax side mount is taller, and almost never wears out. Driver's side is the one that always goes bad, and it's also the one that's easier to get (available aftermarket) -- the RH side IIRC is available only thru Volvo. LH mount is part # 1229803 and you should be able to find it without any trouble. If the motor is sitting wrong, then that prob means only the one side has a bad mount -- I'd start by changing the driver's side and see if that does the job.

Adjusting idle speed can be a little fussy since there's more than one place you need to look at. The idle *should* be set by the stop screw on the top of the pump that stops the throttle lever (it's the inner one, towards the engine, under the aneroid housing that looks like a spaceship on top of the IP, with slightly difficult access). However, especially in cases where you have inadvertently raised the idle speed by changing the setting of the fuel quantity screw (which, as you have likely discovered, has a pretty large effect on low idle speed), it can happen that you back that idle stop screw down far enough to where the throttle cable pulley hits its low stop too, and then that will prevent the idle from coming down any further since the throttle lever will not be able to reach the low speed stop screw on the pump top. What you have to do in that case is either lengthen the pull rod that connects the bottom of the pulley to the IP throttle lever, or, preferably, move the ball stud on the lever further inwards. Reason I like the second option better is that lengthening the rod then affects your ability to get all the way to the high-idle stop (aka "full throttle"), so you then are running into problems on the other side.

The bulb socket should be a cheap buy in whatever place you look for it -- if you don't want to pick one from the JY, might try looking on ebay or placing a wanted ad here or on another Volvo board and having someone send you one. In fact, I probably have a few I could part with -- you can pick one up if you're in the area, or I can drop one in the mail, if you don't have a better option.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:04 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinCole View Post
I bought an engine mount through IMC, and it didn't mention if it was a left or a right.
If you got it from IMC and it's for a diesel then it will be LH side.