D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2014, 12:53 AM

Default HELP: Turbo rebuild (or do i have a Blow By Issue)

Hey all,

Started a thread a few days ago saying

"My standard turbo has been slowly consuming (and spraying over the engine bay) more and more engine oil and is beginning to get to the point where I think I should do something about it now, so what advice can people give me.

I'm in the uk and would be up for doing he rebuild myself if people think that's possible/cost effective, but if there's an easy swap or a refurb exchange item would be more cost effective then that's options if consider too.

Car is the one in my project thread in my signature and is running slightly increased fuelling and hopefully a sensible safe boost increase in the future also."

Now some more thinking has occurred and I'm thinking theres a worry i might have a blow by issue? I'm getting smokey vapour from the breather tube, and from the oil filler cap if opened, and the oil around the turbo on the chassis rail might be related to oil from the breather being sprayed out there? the engine has done about 230000 miles and never been rebuilt, i don't think the turbo has ever been changed either, and I thought the bottom end was in reasonable condition. I'm running with a little less advance than ideal and it still warm starts with no plugs within half a second or so of cranking, hot starts on the first cylinder to fire and cold starts after glow plugs the same. Could the turbo be causing pressure in the crankcase through seal failure or do I have ring issues?

Help appreciated.

Look forward to your advice.

Richard

Last edited by raw; 08-18-2014 at 10:12 AM.